7.17.12 Nikki and Peanut

17 Jul

This was Nikki; my absolutely gorgeous buff Cocker Spaniel, after my daughter, who was about 7 years old at the time, did her hair.  That dog would allow Peanut to do anything to her.  Nikki (D&L’s Nikkolette) was actually my first child.  She was the first dog that I raised from an 8 week old puppy to the good age of 18 years.  In her puppy days I lived in an apartment and had to carry the little thing down 2 flights of stairs several times a night.  I was younger then.  Her crate was at the foot of my bed and the little thing would cry and wake me up, and half asleep, I would stumble down the stairs so that she could relieve herself.  I worked really hard training Nikki.  She and I went to many training classes and even had a private trainer.  I did not have much understanding of what I was doing, or suppose to be doing, with a dog in those days, and she was so easy.  Then, when she was about 3, I gave birth to Peanut.  Nikki loved the baby so much.  I remember introducing the animals (in those days it was Nikki dog and the cats, Alice and Gertrude) to the bassinet, even before I went to the hospital, and letting them sniff new smells before the baby came home.  I love to watch the interaction between children and animals.  Children and animals, for me, they are just perfect together.

Just another DogDaz morning at the zoo <3

Posted by on July 17, 2012 in Dogs

Tags: , , , , , , ,

18 responses to “7.17.12 Nikki and Peanut

1. jmgoyder

July 17, 2012 at 00:31

Such a beautiful post.

July 17, 2012 at 07:16

Thanks Julie – I loved my little Nikki. She was a great dog for a baby. Perfect dog at a perfect time.

2. Bassas Blog

July 17, 2012 at 00:34

Very lovely story and sweet photo.

July 17, 2012 at 07:19

Thanks Bassa – do you ever wear sunglasses?

3. monicastangledweb

July 17, 2012 at 02:03

I love that Nikki had such a sweet disposition and didn’t mind being primped up like this. So cute!

July 17, 2012 at 07:20

Yes Monica, she actually loved the attention. Maybe I can scan in some pictures of her in her glory days (before digital).

4. Tiffy the Yorkie

July 17, 2012 at 04:08

Great photo! Love the shades :)

July 17, 2012 at 07:20

Tiffy – You know style when you see it.

5. Tya Khan

July 17, 2012 at 06:36

Loved the post, reminded me of my days with my poodle pepsi who i got when she was 2.5 months old and then the whole training process that went ahead with it, and like Nikki pepsi was so mellow and and such an easy dog to train, she was my first dog as well and i didnt konw much about the handling but we both worked together and grow into an amazing family, she is now 8 years old :)

6. dogdaz

July 17, 2012 at 07:21

Tya – Those bonds that we make with the furry ones are so special. I love the name Pepsi. Is she brown?

7. Chancy and Mumsy

July 17, 2012 at 12:50

We enjoyed reading this post. What a cute picture. Cocker Spaniels are such beautiful dogs. We agree with you on children and animals together…perfect fit in our book. Hugs and nose kisses

July 17, 2012 at 13:31

Thanks for the comment. Nikki was a sweet dog and perfect for that time in our lives.

8. Doggy's Style

July 17, 2012 at 18:05

Thanks for sharing, I was talking today about my first pet, Cracker, he got home the same day my mom and I where reales from the hospital, he died when we were 16, growing up with pets was one of the best things.

July 17, 2012 at 18:47

That is so sweet

July 17, 2012 at 20:15

Wow 18! She is a beauty!

10. Jessica

July 20, 2012 at 20:51

Children and dogs ARE a great combo!! And what a blessing that Nikki was in your life for 18 years! Hy husband’s childhood dog, Sadie (a poodle), lived until she was 18 as well. He always has the biggest smile on his face whenever he talks about her. I’m sure the same thing happens to you whenever you talk about Nikki! :)