8.14.12 Would You Like Cheese With That WHINE!

14 Aug
Pinned Image
Sign repinned from lol

I am sooooooooo tired of Sofie’s whining.  I have been making a study of this, and she even whines in her sleep.  This must be a Sheltie trait.  Never having a dog with this breed mix before, I am not sure, but I have never had such a big baby like Sofie Bear.  So I decided to do some research.  I went to “Sheltie Planet: Your Guide to Everything Shetland Sheepdog,” to find out if this is a breed problem.  And, it sort of is.  They say you should ask yourself these questions to try to figure out why she is whining:

- Is she in pain?  NOPE
- Is she simply bored or lonely? Could be, but we could be in the middle of a major play session and she will whine (or maybe dog talk), so I will say, MAYBE.
- Is she afraid or anxious?  I don’t think she is afraid, but anxious, well of that I am not sure?  I don’t really see her as an anxious dog, but I have Lulu who is pretty high strung, so in comparison maybe I am missing something.  I will have to think on this.
- Does she need to go outside?   Well if she asks, I take her, but that is super rare.

Sofie is a very vigilant dog, she can hear a fox outside 200 feet away.  She will bark at noises that we human’s just don’t hear, but I figure that is vigilance, not anxiety.  Shelties are bred to guard the flock and warn when intruders are around, so it is in her DNA.  I guess I am more tolerant than other people when it comes to innate traits.  A dog is a dog and you have to allow them a bark or two or an occasional whine. Poor Sofie definitely has reasons to whine:  (1) When she wants Nine to come out of the cat room and play with her; (2) When she wants Muffin to stop helping me make dinner, especially when it is the dog food kind; (3) When she wakes up and wants me to let her out of her kennel (but I can tell her to go back to sleep and most of the time she will), and, for sure; (4) When she wants a toy that Lulu has.  The family says she whines all the time, but maybe I just don’t hear it.  I have been told that she whines terribly when I leave, which is something I really need to figure out how to help her stop.  The Sheltie website said basically to ignore the whining, but that sure doesn’t work around here.  When she was a puppy I tried to give her positive reinforcement for not whining, but that was really hard, since it is not a predictable thing.  A lot of times I think that Sofie is just dog talking to me though.  She likes to sit there and have this whole conversation. I am not exactly sure what the story is about, but I know that she likes when I make eye contact and tilt my head as if listening.  “Well, Sofie my love, would you like a little cheese with that whine?”

Just another DogDaz morning at the zoo <3

Posted by on August 14, 2012 in Dogs

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

21 responses to “8.14.12 Would You Like Cheese With That WHINE!

1. bumpyroadtobubba

August 14, 2012 at 00:22

ah, I like to call that w(h)ine o’clock – at the end if the day when I get home in that hour before bubba goes to bed – when she whines if she’s tired + beary whines about his day + needing attention! mumma has a glass of wine + ever-patient Bella just waits quietly for extra loves when her younger siblings have calmed down or gone nigh nighs.

August 14, 2012 at 07:46

Sounds like a good plan

2. jmgoyder

August 14, 2012 at 01:53

Interesting. Has she always done this?

August 14, 2012 at 07:47

Yes, Sofie has always whined, but as she has gotten older, it has escalated.

• jmgoyder

August 14, 2012 at 07:56

Odd!

August 14, 2012 at 09:17

Actually, I am not sure that is is Odd. I think she is just getting more and more demanding. :-)

• jmgoyder

August 14, 2012 at 09:32

Our little dachschund does it too!

August 14, 2012 at 06:14

Cheese! Yum!

August 14, 2012 at 07:47

Cheese and a smile, Cupcake

4. Jodi Stone

August 14, 2012 at 11:39

I’m thinking it may just be her way of talking to you. Delilah barks at me constantly but I know exactly what she is saying, ‘Hurry up with my food.’

August 14, 2012 at 11:58

I think you are right that her vocalization is very whiny. My daughter was born with what I used to call ‘the screaming girl gene.’ That high pitched shriek that little girls seem to emit when they are babies. Thanks for sharing.

5. Bassas Blog

August 14, 2012 at 15:15

I empathize – my cat Barnaby whines a lot :)

August 14, 2012 at 21:23

I agree with you, I think she is just talking to you. I have one that is kind of like that, Riva, she does a lot of the same whining that Sofie does, she even does one that MOST of the time I like, I put the food down and say okay eat your breakfast or dinner which ever the case may be, and then if I leave the room she will come to where I am and whine frantically until I return to the kitchen and say “oh good girl eating all your food”

So just enjoy Miss Sofie’s whiny nature it is a true blessing to have a dog that likes to carry on a conversation with you :)

7. Long Life Cats and Dogs

August 15, 2012 at 07:49

I wouldn’t mind it at all – I love when dogs have long chats – yours just appears to be in a whiney tone. Love that sign at the beginning – brilliant!

August 15, 2012 at 08:16

Whiney tone is true. I love the sign too, but Sofie can’t read. LOL

8. Jessica

August 26, 2012 at 10:52

I can totally relate! Taylor does not bark very much…she just goes straight to whining! Thankfully, it has decreased since she was a puppy, but it’s still there! Jeremy says she is going through her “terrible twos”. ;)

August 26, 2012 at 18:36

Funny you say that – in a few days I will be doing a post about just that – the terrible teens!

September 7, 2012 at 16:33