8.15.12 The DOGDAZ of Summer

15 Aug

How do you keep two young dogs busy in the middle of the day, while you are trying to work, and it is toooo hot out for them to really run around, but they are tired of all their toys and just want human interaction, of which you do not have the time or energy to give them?  Louise has started doing something that she used to do when she was little but I thought that I had cured her of: she comes up under my mousing hand while I am at my desk and she keeps pushing my hand with her head so that I can not compute.  Cute, but not cute.  Sofie just whines at everything.  Yes this has been a really long summer and I have been on the road a lot, which means, not home with the furries to keep them in their usual busy routine.  I think everyone here is ready for fall to come so that we get back to a later walk in the morning (because it won’t be so hot) and more time for play in the afternoon outside (because it won’t be so hot).  Though I play with them in the house in the afternoon, it is just not the same.  I bought them new antlers and that seems to keep them occupied for a little, but you can only chew for so long.  I guess we are in the DogDaz (pun on dog days – get it?) of summer.

Did you know that the term ‘Dog Days of Summer,’  which people usually relate to hot and humid weather, actually is about the ‘dog’ star Sirius.  Sirius, is part of the Northern Hemisphere winter constellation Canis Major, which in latin means ‘greater dog.’  For us here in the north, Sirius is the brightest star in the winter sky.  The Romans (you have to love these folks for all the wonderful stories they gave us) thought that Sirius actually produced enough heat to warm the earth because in the summer months it rises and sets with the sun, thus boosting the heat making of the sun and making everything much hotter.  So, I am really glad to know that DOGDAZ is part of the ‘greater dog’ and has a really ‘Sirius’ connection to the universe. (Yes, I know puns are the lowest form of humor, but I thought it was funny,)

Just another DogDaz morning at the zoo <3

Posted by on August 15, 2012 in Dogs

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

19 responses to “8.15.12 The DOGDAZ of Summer

1. bumpyroadtobubba

August 15, 2012 at 03:01

I too get the mouse arm nudge when trying to work from home! Thanks for the star lesson :)

August 15, 2012 at 06:55

They must teach that in puppy school. How to bother your human 101.

August 15, 2012 at 06:31

I can’t even reach Mom’s mouse arm because I’m too little. But I stand there and stare at her really hard till she understands that we need to play. She has the luxury of stopping her work to come and play with me. Then I let her go back and finish.

August 15, 2012 at 06:56

And I bet sometimes you sit on her lap (which Lulu would really like to do, but she is to big). :-)

• Genevieve Petrillo

August 15, 2012 at 09:32

I do sit in Mom’s lap, but she can type around me! I don’t think you could type around LuLu!

3. Basil

August 15, 2012 at 06:50

So long as you thought it was funny BOL, typist groaned!! BOL

August 15, 2012 at 06:58

BOL – Burst Of Laughter? that is a new one for me. Thanks sorry I made you groan. Siriusly.

• Basil

August 16, 2012 at 04:07

Bark out loud!! Although I do like Burst of Laughter – I may use that!!

4. Long Life Cats and Dogs

August 15, 2012 at 07:46

I love hearing about the origin of phrases. Very interesting. My one cat does the same head-hand pushing thing when I’m on the PC – as you say, cute but sometimes you really have to work.

August 15, 2012 at 08:15

My cats like to block the screen and walk on the keyboard, LOL

August 15, 2012 at 20:05

I like your puns! Seems Serius is everywhere today, I mean I keep seeing it on other social media. I think your right it has been taught to them as pups because mine do it too :)
    How about a kong filled with something tasty and then frozen, might keep them busy for a brief time anyway.

August 15, 2012 at 22:14

Yum – I never have tried the frozen idea. Thanks

• Misty Shores Chesapeakes

August 15, 2012 at 22:19

Maia and Titan like it, doesn’t last a long time but they usually fall asleep after for a little while anyway :)

6. Chancy and Mumsy

August 15, 2012 at 22:18

We here are ready for fall and cooler weather too. We have not been able to be outside much at all this long, hot, dry summer. Hugs and nose kisses

7. Bassas Blog

August 16, 2012 at 14:39

Very interesting info about the stars!

August 16, 2012 at 15:57

I wonder if there is a Bassa star over Georgia. :-)

8. Jessica

August 29, 2012 at 19:07

At least I know that Taylor is not the only one with the “Play with me, play with me, play with me NOW!” syndrome! ;)

September 23, 2012 at 20:50