8.16.12 The Bond & The Balance

16 Aug

My dogs and I are very close.  Sometimes I think they actually grow out of my side.  They are always with me when I am home, whether in my office, the kitchen, or the bedroom; shucks, they are even in the bathroom with me.  If I get up to get a cup of coffee, Sofie is right behind me unless I tell her to ‘stay.’  We move as a pack.  On the days that I put the dogs in daycare, like today, the first thing that happens is a child wakes up and says, ‘Where are my puppies?’ Then, around mid-day, I start to feel like something is missing: I don’t get my 1-mile walk when they are not home;  I don’t go up and down the stairs a million times to let them outside (my StairMaster exercise); and, I don’t go outside to play.  How silly is that?  Part of having the dogs for me is to help me stay in balance.  I am not very good about that.  Working in the virtual world, I sit in front of this computer for hour after hour and sometimes forget to get up, to stretch, to take a break.  My dogs help me remember to do that.  They also make me a better human.  They teach me tolerance and acceptance.  They make me a better teacher and their existence has made me into a student of animal nature.  I have less freedom because of their daily demands, but that is OK.  They keep me grounded.  They keep me, well…. human.  I can not imagine my life without them.

Just another DogDaz morning at the zoo <3

Posted by on August 16, 2012 in Dogs

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

19 responses to “8.16.12 The Bond & The Balance

1. barb19

August 16, 2012 at 01:22

My dog keeps me balanced too, and I cannot imagine life without her; she is my constant companion, just like yours are.

August 16, 2012 at 06:40

They are so sweet, aren’t they?

2. jmgoyder

August 16, 2012 at 03:34

I know exactly what you are saying here – beautiful!

August 16, 2012 at 05:30

Cupcake makes perfect balance here, too. Diagnosed with RA at age 17, there are MANY days that I do not feel like walking. But because of her, we’re out there hoofing it around the neighborhood or the park and feeling better and stronger because of it. No better medicine.

August 16, 2012 at 06:42

I absolutely understand. I have had Lupus for 18 years. I really don’t want to move my body most days, but, you have to, for them. :-)

4. Doggy's Style

August 16, 2012 at 07:45

that’s all very true, for me Doggy it’s my therapy dog.

5. tinykitchenstories

August 16, 2012 at 09:38

Wonderful post!

August 16, 2012 at 09:45

Thank you for letting me know you liked it

• tinykitchenstories

August 16, 2012 at 12:20

I completely understood how you feel. Love my four-leggeds! Miss her when I’m at work, and I’m now hoping I can work at home more so that my Kayla can bring me that balance. :)

6. Bassas Blog

August 16, 2012 at 12:03

This was a very lovely post.

August 16, 2012 at 15:56

Thanks Bassa. I know you and Tall Person have a very special bond too.

7. Jodi Stone

August 16, 2012 at 12:12

I feel the same way about my dogs!

August 16, 2012 at 15:56

It is obvious that you do. Thanks

August 21, 2012 at 18:40

Well said and I could not agree more :)

August 21, 2012 at 19:35

Thanks Misty. Greatly appreciate the feedback.

9. Jessica

August 30, 2012 at 19:47

When Hopper passed away, there was a horrible feeling that I just was not myself. I had a hard time articulating it verbally. But what you said makes so much sense. Even though I was only Hopper’s mommy for 6 months, I felt imbalanced.

August 30, 2012 at 21:00

I find that they are a piece of me and when they are gone, or even when I am traveling, it is not the same. That imbalance is ‘true bond,’ <3

my sweetpainteddreams

and kitty Star's sweetpaintedpurrdreams

Mad Cap Dog

zany dog exploits - and other tails

Wilde About Dogs

Just another WordPress.com weblog

Playful Kitty

A place for all the world's playful kitties!

Pawesome Cats

We believe that cats make life better

Naked Eye Travel

A traveller's look at the world

Dogs N Pawz

Learn about dog breeds, canine health, puppies, senior dogs, training, grooming, homemade recipes, dog clothes & more

Reading With Rhythm

book reviews from Rhythm the Library Dog

AngelAtticus

Angel Cat. Let brotherly love continue. Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

Katzenworld

All about (our) cats. Food, toys and other cat related products

Live & Learn

David Kanigan

The Grady Report

The journey of a blind dog and a guide human.

Wendt Worth Corgi's Weblog

Latest news, etc...

Fear No Project Blog - Focusing on the Management Side of Projects

Thoughts, experience, tips and tricks on issues affecting managers and project management

maijaharrington

pugs, dogs, dog behavior, animals, animal behavior, dog behavior, funny, humor, memoir

HOWDI Photography®

Basic pictures. Pictures black and white. Full colour pictures. Artwork pictures. Just pictures.