8.19.12 Inspiration From A Second-Hand Bear

19 Aug

Several years ago, at the end of the summer, we found this broken bear fountain at a local garden center.  We love to shop for things at the end of the season because we can find wonderful things at prices we can afford,  So what if they have some pieces missing or are a little chipped or ragged, they would get that way around here pretty quickly anyway.  So Bear has been a summer time favorite of ours for many summers.  The pieces that hold him up in the water are not the original ones and are 3 broken shards of pottery, so every year we spend hours trying to get the bear to sit just right and then adjust the pump to not spray out of the bowl.  It is a ritual of sorts.  I finally figured out if I put a piece of pottery at the end of the stream, than the splash seems to stay in the bowl instead of all over the deck, unless of course the wind is blowing.  We have fountains all over the property and inside the house as well.  I guess it is very Feng Shui to have water strategically positioned, but we did it because we really enjoy the calming sound (and the effects of the negative ions generated by the constant running water (you knew that of course)).  The fountain at the top of the stairs is the cat drinking fountain.  I am sure they think we installed it for them.  We have fountains at every entrance.

2006: Peanut & Squash
On the front steps with fountain

I remember when the kids were little and a frog decided to live in the big fountain by the front door and it croaked all night right outside Peanut’s window. For a really long time the kids could not figure out what the noise was and they were afraid there was a cricket trapped in the wall.

Now that I am thinking about it, Squash used to drink directly out of the Bear Fountain because he was tall enough; Lulu and Sofie, can’t drink from it but like to play around it.

Water is such an incredible part of my life.  Astrologically, I am a triple Pisces.  What that means is 3 of my major planets were in the constellation Pisces when I was born.  It has been said I am like water, I take the form of those things around me.  What is weird is how true that has been all my life.  Maybe that is why I am so good with the animals, I just flow along with them.

Water represents the contemplative side of a person, the search for inner self and deeper meanings, but it also represents unleashed chaos and uncertainty without goals. “Water, in opposition to the stability of Earth, stands for inspiration, for creation, for giving birth to ideas, longings and hopes, for moving and for changing,  Because if Water stands still, it will rot.” One must stay humble to the power of water, it gives life, but, as we know, it can also cause great damage (I guess that is the unleashed chaos part).

I am sad to report that the Bear Fountain did not make it out of storage this summer, because we never got the shade cover to the deck area up, which meant we did not have shade, and we always but him in the shade so he does not grow algae to fast.  Now we are starting to close up the pool and turn over the gardens, and Bear will have to wait until next summer.  No wonder I couldn’t get anything started this season, I was missing my inspiration.

Just another DogDaz morning at the zoo <3

Posted by on August 19, 2012 in Dogs

Tags: , , , , , , ,

9 responses to “8.19.12 Inspiration From A Second-Hand Bear

1. jmgoyder

August 19, 2012 at 00:35

You are so interesting!

August 19, 2012 at 08:48

That is a nice way to put it. I would just say ‘down right weird.’ Thanks. LOL

• jmgoyder

August 19, 2012 at 09:00

Well I was going to say weird but didn’t want to offend – hahe!

2. Long Life Cats and Dogs

August 19, 2012 at 05:57

I love the sound of running water. Love your fountain (sorry it didn’t make it out this summer). PS – all my animals, cats and dog, like to drink from my fountain, rather than anywhere else – seems like animals like the re-circulated stuff best?!?!

August 19, 2012 at 08:49

I agree. I think that fountains make the best cat water stations.

August 19, 2012 at 08:58

You definitely do go with the flow, so the Feng Shui is right in tune with your sign. That’s probably how you’re able to travel around all over the place. Gotta be able to go with the flow…..

August 19, 2012 at 09:10

Thanks Cupcake. It isn’t always easy and I can’t say that sometimes I just want to be a tree and grow roots.

4. Jessica

September 3, 2012 at 01:57

It’s funny how we find inspiration in random places!

September 3, 2012 at 09:35

Sometimes it is the smaller things that make the biggest impression