8.22.12 Mourning Forward

22 Aug

I know it happens but I am not exactly sure why, but when cats get old, like really old, like 18 to 20, they waste away it seems.  Muffin must be down to 5 lbs (2.2 kg) now, if that.  I don’t like it.  He was the king.  The big Kahuna around here.  He was the Alpha and kept everyone, even the humans and the dogs in line.

The Muffin Man has become a little wisp of himself, and his front paws seem to have splayed out in a funny way that I never noticed before today.  He is always hungry (especially at 4 AM) but never seems to eat much.  He attacks everyone’s dinner and only wants people or dog food.  “What ever you want, Muffy, we will get it for you.”  Some nights he does not even come to my bed anymore.  I think he starts to, but get tired on way so stops and just sleeps where he is.

It is hard when your furry friends get so advanced in years.  Everyday I check his breathing and kiss him and thank him for the one more day he has given me with him.  Muffy’s time is coming – maybe tomorrow – next week – next month – one can not prepare – one can not ready themselves for the hole – the loss – the empty space on the couch.  All I can do is try and cuddle his boney self and enjoy the moments of now.  The togetherness of the present.

I am not sure if this blog is about Muffy or about my daughter, Peanut, leaving to college at the end of the week:  difference is, she has her life ahead, he has his life behind.  I am already missing them both in a weird way and they are not even gone yet.

Just another DogDaz morning at the zoo <3

Posted by on August 22, 2012 in Dogs

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

32 responses to “8.22.12 Mourning Forward

1. barb19

August 22, 2012 at 01:11

I understand where you are coming from. The same thing is happening to my friend’s 14 year old dog; she is wasting away like Muffin, and I can feel every bone in her back. My friend knows that her time with her beloved dog is short, so is thankful for each and every single day that she still has her. When we get a new pet, we know we will one day have to say goodbye, it’s so sad, but we have the memories and laughs to fall back on, and wouldn’t change it for the world.
    Make the most of your time with Muffin – time so precious.

August 24, 2012 at 00:09

Thanks Barb – I am cuddling his little bony body as I type

• barb19

August 24, 2012 at 19:50

Sadly, my friend lost her little dog yesterday; there was a tumor on her spleen which was bleeding into her belly, and there was nothing the vet could do.
        Give Muffin all the cuddles you can.

August 24, 2012 at 21:55

Sorry for your friend’s loss. It is never easy.

2. Bassas Blog

August 22, 2012 at 01:49

So sorry to hear about Muffin. It is very sad to see once proud loved ones become shadows of their former selves. But there will always be memories of the glory days.

3. monicastangledweb

August 22, 2012 at 02:13

Oh, I’m so sorry. Seems, with Muffin, you’ve reached the time in his life that I dread most with Henry. How do you deal? Your post today breaks my heart. Keep him happy like you’re doing, letting him eat anything his heart desires. Wishing you and all the zoo, the very best. Enjoy your time with Muffin. I’ll be hugging Henry a little closer this tonight.

August 24, 2012 at 00:11

The furry ones are here a shorter time because they come already perfect. I look at it that way and know that I have been blessed by the knowing of him. He has made my life richer, and I have made his life safer for sure.

4. jmgoyder

August 22, 2012 at 03:00

This is heartbreaking.

August 24, 2012 at 00:12

Oh sorry. I am sad but trying to move into the place of acceptance of the inevitable.

5. mollieandalfie

August 22, 2012 at 04:10

I agree with Jmgoyder, it’s heartbreaking but it has or it’s going to happen to all us pet bloggers..At some time we are going to lose our fury buddies :( When Muffin dose go..just think, he’s gone to the big Kitty playground in the sky..where I’m sure he will be boss again.
    Our thought are with you..
    Hugs Mollie
    Mollie and Alfie

August 24, 2012 at 00:12

Thanks Mollie and Alfie. Muffin sure will have lots of friends in that big kitty playground.

6. Basil

August 22, 2012 at 05:08

Sending you big squish hugs!! What a brilliant post thank you

August 22, 2012 at 07:17

Thanks – I love Squish hugs

7. Doggy's Style

August 22, 2012 at 05:21

Onions, somebody is chopping onions in here.
    Thanks for sharing this.

August 22, 2012 at 07:18

Don’t cry Doggy. Change is OK.

8. lijiun

August 22, 2012 at 05:22

May you and Muffin be Happy and Well!

August 22, 2012 at 07:19

lijiun, thanks for stopping by.

9. themisadventuresofmisaki

August 22, 2012 at 05:58

Its something I don’t like to think about, but Mollie’s right, its something we all have to deal with at some stage. Just enjoy the time you have together now xx

August 22, 2012 at 07:20

We are, thanks

August 22, 2012 at 06:42

Muffin will always be there, whether you can see him or not. You all gave him a bunch of happiness, just like he gave you. You clearly “get” the value of cherishing the moments you have. Enjoy them – with Muffy AND Peanut.

August 22, 2012 at 07:21

What is scary around here is there are so many old spirits they bump into each other once and a while. LOL

11. zannyro

August 22, 2012 at 23:59

My zero is 16….he rests a lot on his way through the house…meows in a loud voice..don’t know why….hang in there through these transitions….it’s a tough time…”hugs”

August 24, 2012 at 00:13

Thanks. They do vocalize at weird things, don’t they?

12. bumpyroadtobubba

August 23, 2012 at 01:36

Two great loves, aren’t we incredibly lucky people to have such gorgeous creatures in our lives. I got very teary reading this post. x

August 24, 2012 at 00:14

Yes – you are right – major changes with 2 of my greatest loves.

• bumpyroadtobubba

August 24, 2012 at 03:06

I started to read your post today but was in the hairdresser and new I was going to cry so saved it for when I got home!

13. Debbie@kindnesskronicles

August 24, 2012 at 00:37

I can appreciate what you are saying; I am going through the same with Morice, my orange tabby I inherited from a friend. He is now about 16, dropping weight and sometimes seems he’s drifted off somewhere. But he still gets up on my bed for part of the night, tries to get under the covers, and loves taking up the very edge of the bed in the very early morning. I know I am going to miss him terribly when he’s gone. I am also thankful that I got to keep him so many years ago when a friend left him with me until she could sneak him into her apartment. Hang in there…:)

September 23, 2012 at 20:55

Thank you. They are a gift if they only stay a minute or a lifetime.

14. Jessica

September 5, 2012 at 20:46

You know, I’ve noticed that blogging has helped me cope with the loss of Hopper. Writing seems to be therapeutic for me. I sure hope it has the same benefit for you. As pet guardians, I and all of your readers are thinking of you during this emotional time. As animal advocates, we also thank you for giving Muffin such a wonderful and happy life! You are an awesome lady!

September 5, 2012 at 20:51

Thank you Jessica. The animals give me so much. And yes, I blog as catharsis from a hectic life and to express my love and learning from my wonderful creatures.