8.28.12 Signs Of Fall

28 Aug

This week has been wonderful for butterflies in the garden. I capture this shot of an Eastern Black Swallowtail on the grape right before Louise tried to eat it.   A Yellow Swallowtail actually landed on her and freaked her out a bit (it was cute but I could not get the camera out fast enough).

Butterfly on the Grape
August 2012

Sofie Chasing Butterlies

Both dogs don’t really understand flying insects very well.  I see them constantly trying to eat bees and jump after butterflies.  We also have these very large furry spiders that kind of encase the house in webs this time of year.  I was bringing in groceries the other evening and one swung down over the front door and caused me to drop the case of water that I was carrying and run.  I worry that one of the dogs will try to eat one of the spiders and die: they are really scary looking.

V found a whole family of new born mice inside the extra vacuum we store in the garage the other day.  This is a sure sign of fall coming our way.  Mother Mouse must have come through the bottom bar and up the hose and had her babies in the inside bag (how smart is that?).  While V was working in the garage there was  this nibble nibble scratch scratch noise and upon closer inspection, unzipped the bag part of the vacuum, and all these little pink babies fell out.  They were quickly scooped up and placed back in the bag and brought outside, with the hope that Mother Mouse will move them somewhere else (outside please!).  I guess the Black Snake, who always leaves his skin on the garage shelves for us, will tell us where the mice are… because that is life in our garage in the late summer.

Just another DogDaz morning at the zoo <3

Posted by on August 28, 2012 in Dogs

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

14 responses to “8.28.12 Signs Of Fall

1. themisadventuresofmisaki

August 28, 2012 at 04:45

I like chasing butterflies too :-)

August 28, 2012 at 08:43

It’s fun isn’t it – Sofie Bear

August 28, 2012 at 07:41

Mom is making a mental note NEVER to come and visit you. All of those things are WAY too scary for her. I ate a butterfly once. Mom said, “Oh no you didn’t.” But, oh yes I did! Yay!

August 28, 2012 at 08:44

Did it tickle your mouth? – Sofie Bear

3. Jodi Stone

August 28, 2012 at 08:46

The spider would freak me out too. I worry about them eating something or getting bit and getting sick. The mice, well Hubby has found a couple in our garage too. They are not my favorite animal. :-(

4. Doggy's Style

August 28, 2012 at 09:44

Doggy loves insects, he loves chasing ants and once in awhile when he see a roach he takes it down, doesn’t eat, just smash it with his paws. Butterflies he tries to catch them but gives up quickly. Snakes and mice….sounds interesting

August 28, 2012 at 19:13

Hahahaha – he actually can catch roaches, he must be very fast.

5. colliesofthemeadow

August 28, 2012 at 18:33

They never catch those butterflies do they? LOL….. Yes, it wont be long and it will be fall… my favorite but what seems to be the shortest of all seasons…

August 28, 2012 at 19:11

My fav too. It is a little longer here in the midatlantic than up north. Still to short though.

August 28, 2012 at 18:53

Beautiful butterfly!

Gotta love mother nature :)

August 28, 2012 at 19:12

And I do. :-)

7. Bassas Blog

August 29, 2012 at 03:38

Great photo of the butterfly on the grape – beautiful color.

8. Jessica

September 8, 2012 at 12:27

Great photos! So…it seems like the number of creatures in your zoo is even bigger than I imagined! ;)

September 8, 2012 at 13:47

Ah – yes if you count the outdoor visitors that we feed, That is true.

my sweetpainteddreams

and kitty Star's sweetpaintedpurrdreams

Mad Cap Dog

zany dog exploits - and other tails

Wilde About Dogs

Just another WordPress.com weblog

Playful Kitty

A place for all the world's playful kitties!

Pawesome Cats

We believe that cats make life better

Naked Eye Travel

A traveller's look at the world

Dogs N Pawz

Learn about dog breeds, canine health, puppies, senior dogs, training, grooming, homemade recipes, dog clothes & more

Reading With Rhythm

book reviews from Rhythm the Library Dog

AngelAtticus

Angel Cat. Let brotherly love continue. Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

Katzenworld

All about (our) cats. Food, toys and other cat related products

Live & Learn

David Kanigan

The Grady Report

The journey of a blind dog and a guide human.

Wendt Worth Corgi's Weblog

Latest news, etc...

Fear No Project Blog - Focusing on the Management Side of Projects

Thoughts, experience, tips and tricks on issues affecting managers and project management

maijaharrington

pugs, dogs, dog behavior, animals, animal behavior, dog behavior, funny, humor, memoir

HOWDI Photography®

Basic pictures. Pictures black and white. Full colour pictures. Artwork pictures. Just pictures.