9.6.12 Tummy Rubs & Scratch Zones

06 Sep

Tummy rubs.  My dogs love tummy rubs.  I think that humans like backrubs best, but dogs, well they really like tummy rubs.  I guess it would just feel to vulnerable to me to have someone rub my tummy.  When I was pregnant, total strangers thought they had some weird right to touch my belly.  How Rude!  I think that is so invasive of a person’s privacy.  But my dogs, they love it and ask for it daily.  (Since I have never had a pregnant dog, I don’t know how they feel about it, maybe they don’t like it during that time for the same reasons that humans don’t, it is just to vulnerable.)  Louise and Sofie are both submissive animals in my pack, so I figure they get on their backs and just sort of say, ‘Hey, aren’t I cute, please don’t hurt me!’  Come to think of it, I do not remember ever having seen The Muffin Man, our old alpha cat, ever, in all his years, show his belly.  All the other cats in the pride do, but not him.  The other cats lie on their backs and show their bellies very often, but around here, if you want to keep your hand in one piece, I would not try to rub any cat’s underside (S C R A T C H!).

Tummy rubs are a big deal in our house.  I tend to give them in the morning before work and definitely find time for some before the pups go to bed.  Sofie is a big one to throw herself on the ground and roll over immediately if she thinks she is going to get yelled at (smart dog).

Rubbing a dog’s tummy is different than scratching (I look at rubbing more like massage).  I like to give all my animals a good scratch in some of their favorite ‘scratch zones’ regularly.  Have you noticed that most dogs seem to have a scratch trigger spot down near the inside of the back leg (kind of between the ribs and mid-hip).  This makes their back leg kick as a reaction to the scratching motion. I think the dogs like it, but I don’t know for sure. Something tells me it is probably a protective response (more so in male dogs) to protect their private regions.  (Is that TMI (To Much Information)?)  Louise also really likes to be scratched on her flanks and top of her tail (as I watch the short little black hairs fly).  I am still exploring Sofie’s scratch zones, but I know she likes her chest done.

Does your furry have a special scratch zone?

Just another DogDaz morning at the zoo <3

Posted by on September 6, 2012 in Dogs

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

19 responses to “9.6.12 Tummy Rubs & Scratch Zones

1. jmgoyder

September 6, 2012 at 00:25

Love this!

September 6, 2012 at 07:43

Thanks – Do Geese like to be scratched?

2. The Daily Golden

September 6, 2012 at 00:43

Tucker gets the “Jimmy Leg” too. But I think he likes it :)

September 6, 2012 at 07:43

I am not going to ask why you call it that?

3. barb19

September 6, 2012 at 01:08

Oh yes – Poppy loves to be rubbed on her chest area – her eyes go all glassy, she just adores it so much. She also has an area on her tummy near to her back legs that when rubbed, makes her swoon – and her leg twitches with delight!

September 6, 2012 at 07:44

I love that glassy – ‘I love this!’ – look

4. bumpyroadtobubba

September 6, 2012 at 02:03

While both of mine love a belly rub, Bella is a big fan of what we call the fuzzy butt scratch – firm scratchies on her rump – and Beary loves under the chin scratchies. We call the response to the trigger spot as ‘start your bike’ because it looks like they could start a motorbike with the movement!

September 6, 2012 at 07:45

I like the ‘start your bike’ name, that is so right. Lulu and Sofie both like a firm scratchy too.

September 6, 2012 at 07:41

In the summer, scratching ANYWHERE is my favorite spot. The vet thinks I might be allergic to the grass or something outside. Once winter comes, scratch me touch me, massage me, pet me, hold me, cuddle with me, cut my nails, brush me….. If there’s touching involved, I’m 100% on board.

September 6, 2012 at 07:48

Sorry for the allergies. Lulu has a skin condition called Demodicosis, which comes up when she is stressed, and then she wants to scratch her skin off. We understand.

6. whatimeant2say

September 6, 2012 at 17:43

Strangely, Wonderbutt is not big on tummy rubs. He tolerates them, but doesn’t seem to really crave them. Ear scratches are his cup of tea.

September 6, 2012 at 18:03

Ahh an ear guy. With a gut like his, I am not surprised. LOL

September 6, 2012 at 19:48

Oh yes, Riva, Maia and Titan all love belly rubs, Cheyenne is more of a side rub gal. And they all love what I call butt rubs, rubbing real hard at the base of the tail and sometimes I even get a little groan :)

I love the tickle area you described and Riva is my best for that. The cat’s like a little head scratch and that is about it.

Riva loved her belly rubbed while she was pregnant and once she was far enough along I wuld be able to feel puppies push against my hand, very cool!

September 23, 2012 at 20:47

Ohhhhh! That must have been so cool to feel the puppies push.

8. Bassas Blog

September 10, 2012 at 14:37

Tummy rubs are the best and head scratches and massages – in fact, it’s all wonderful! Great post and wonderful photos!

September 10, 2012 at 15:05

You are just one big huggy bear, Bassa

9. Jessica

September 20, 2012 at 01:00

That’s a great question! Taylor loves…I mean LOVES getting belly rubs, but I don’t know about getting scratched! She always asks for belly rubs just before her super-early morning potty breaks. It might be her way to distract me from not putting her harness on her!

September 20, 2012 at 07:46