9.9.12 Snack Time at the Zoo

09 Sep

Note to my Readers:  Sorry for the rant, but sometimes, I just have to get it off my chest.

Sometimes when I look down and realize that we currently have 5 cats, I worry that I am someday going to be called the crazy rescue lady.  I wish I could say that everyone gets along, but lately, with Muffin really getting on in years, and Kitty, losing her mind and peeing everywhere, the multi-cat (multi-animal) household, is not working as calmly as it used to.  Over the last 30 year I have always had multiple cats: it went from Rosie & Eddy, add Babydoll & Wussy, subtract Eddy (breast cancer), subtract Wussy (kidney), add Alice & Gertrude, subtract Babydoll (cancer), subtract Rosie (old age), add The Muffin Man, Zackary, & Cuddles, subtract Alice (kidney), subtract Gertrude (old age), subtract Zackary (kidney), add Nine & Stella, subtract Cuddles (brain tumor), and here we are. And then the dogs went from Nikki, add Squash, lose Nikki, add Louise, lose Squash, add Sofie.

With 7 animals, someone is always crying that they are hungry and because Muffin wants to eat all the time (he is down to about 3 or 4 lbs), we feed the cats pretty often.   The cost to keep the zoo in dog and cat food is killing me!  We just switched the cats to 1/2 commercial brand (9 Lives at $.43 per can) because the good stuff (Wellness $1.65 per can) is so expensive.  I am switching the dogs to something different too, but it is harder for them (they are more tummy sensitive).  Currently I am moving them from Prescription Hills ID to VeRUS, Lamb and Brown Rice (not cheaper but maybe I will use less in the long run). You almost need a Ph.D. in animal science to figure out the best animal foods at this point, and when you do, you can’t afford them. Oh my!

I will need to take a loan out of the bank to keep up with the 7 animal’s appetites at this point.  Whose idea was all these animals anyway?  Good thing that I don’t eat much (but how come they always want whatever I am eating too?).

Oh, don’t get me started on the cost of dog treats these days…….

Just another DogDaz morning at the zoo <3

Posted by on September 9, 2012 in Cats, Dogs

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

14 responses to “9.9.12 Snack Time at the Zoo

1. jmgoyder

September 9, 2012 at 02:11

You are such a good person!

September 9, 2012 at 08:32

Thanks – I do not know about good, but broke, that I know about. LOL

2. heretherebespiders

September 9, 2012 at 05:24

Yikes! If it will work at all for you, the only treat our dog gets is a carrot. She loves them, they are cheap, and they don’t hurt her sensitive tummy.

September 9, 2012 at 08:33

Both my dogs will take the carrots and hide them under the couch but not eat them. Sofie is actually not a big treat eater, but they both really like bully sticks and rawhide.

September 9, 2012 at 08:20

I’m only blessed with my ONE little chow hound, but I know what you mean. I think maybe the pets have started adopting new pets of their own!!

September 9, 2012 at 08:34

I often try to discourage them bringing friends home for dinner. LOL

• Genevieve Petrillo

September 9, 2012 at 09:22

Good policy, but they’re sneaking them in there somehow!!

4. themisadventuresofmisaki

September 9, 2012 at 13:22

Mummy often says its a shame we don’t make money from blogging, then I could buy my own food bol

September 9, 2012 at 14:57

That would be a great idea.

September 9, 2012 at 15:36

LOL I feel your pain with feeding four large dogs and two cats. How about making your own dog treats, I have a great dog cookie recipe that my nephew actually eats too :)

September 9, 2012 at 17:08

Would love to see it. I can try. Sofie is very fussy.

6. Bassas Blog

September 10, 2012 at 07:33

I only have 1 cat but he eats more than me!

September 10, 2012 at 07:39

No way big girl – but maybe kilo to kilo it seems like it.