9.10.12 You Can’t See Me

10 Sep

Noel likes to hide on the kitchen bench when it is pushed under the table.  I believe she thinks that no one knows she is there.  Sometimes I actually do pull the bench out and end up sitting on her because I don’t realize she is there, startling us both.  I noticed over the years that animals think if they can not see us, then they must be hidden.  Squash used to hide his big head under my chair at the vet’s office, with 90% of his body of course not under the chair, and think he was safe from view.  Not really knowing what they are thinking, I am making a very large assumption here that they think they are totally hidden.  Do they not know that they are exposed?  How would animals survive in the wild if they do not realize that to hide, one must make sure that all of you, not just part of you, is hidden?  Maybe this is a domestic animal thing?  I have observed very young children do the same thing when playing hide and seek; they leave part of themselves exposed.

Cats love to hide.  Around here they even like to play hide and seek (try it: they love to jump out at you when found).  My cats hide for many reasons, but mostly it is to minimize the threat of danger in their environment so that they can relax.  My cats definitely hide when they are stressed and it is really hard to get a hiding cat in that situation to come out.  Around my zoo you find cats hiding on pushed-in seats (a favorite of Noel’s), under tables (especially Miss Kitty), in closets (Stella and Nine are having fun with this one), under blankets (a favorite of Kitty and Nine), and in the smallest box or bag they can find.  Muffin, doesn’t hide that I can think of (maybe because he is Alpha and feels no need to).

I still don’t understand about this partially hidden thing though?  Don’t they always know where their tails are?  Or maybe Noel is not really hiding at all?

Before we leave the house for any length of time we always count animals to make sure everyone is inside and not locked in a room they should not be in or anything like that.  I know where to find most of my furries because they have regular hiding places.  Where do your pets like to hide?  And do they do this half-hide thing?

Just another DogDaz morning at the zoo <3

Posted by on September 10, 2012 in Cats

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

18 responses to “9.10.12 You Can’t See Me

1. monicastangledweb

September 10, 2012 at 03:25

My Henry likes to sometime burrow himself under a pile of pillows on my bed so that he’s not visible to the casual observer. I’ve been known to look for him and miss him entirely. Sometimes he hides away in the bathtub! Me thinks he thinks he’s a cat.

September 10, 2012 at 07:40

I think there is a little cat in every dog. LOL

2. zannyro

September 10, 2012 at 04:47

Zero hides in a closet….he doesn’t do the half-hide thing…I think it is hilarious that your pets do..LOL!

September 10, 2012 at 07:40

Closets are fun, dark and warm.

September 10, 2012 at 05:14

I don’t hide often. Sometimes I run behind Mom’s leg. I’m sure if there were danger, she would hide me, so I don’t waste precious brain power thinking about it.

September 10, 2012 at 07:41

Cupcake, It is good to preserve brain power for sure, especially when you have a Mommy that will protect you. – Sofie

4. themisadventuresofmisaki

September 10, 2012 at 06:14

I don’t tend to hide unless the water snake in the garden comes out and then I scramble into my bed!!

September 10, 2012 at 07:42

Good move, Misaki!

5. Bassas Blog

September 10, 2012 at 06:15

Hahaha! Yes, they are like young children who cover their faces and think no one can see them :)

September 10, 2012 at 07:43

Baby hide and seek with your hands, I play that with Sofie Bear and she loves it.

6. Andrea

September 10, 2012 at 06:54

My cats hide, but sometimes in plain sight. Leia likes to lay on the pillows on the back of the couch; she sinks into them so she blends into the sofa and we miss her when doing the “check.”. Gracie favors behind curtains while Tigger’s spots vary.

September 10, 2012 at 07:38

Ah yes – the very special “hiding in plain site,” we know that well. Thanks for stopping by.

7. Jodi

September 10, 2012 at 09:43

The only one who hides in our house is Bob and he’s really good at it! I want to say his favorite spot is the kitchen cabinet. He has figure out how to open the cupboard door and goes in whenever he wants. He mostly hides when the grand kids come over though. When that happens you aren’t finding Bob! LOL

September 10, 2012 at 12:08

Kitchen cabinet – how smart are you Bob, until someone wants a drink and goes for a glass? Very cool.

September 10, 2012 at 21:21

Hmmm the only one of my guys that really hides is B.W. and he hides under the back steps but I think that is to get away from what he considers the crazy Maia pup who is stalking him ;)

September 10, 2012 at 22:09

That is funny.

9. Jessica

September 24, 2012 at 09:05

That’s so interesting! Taylor likes to hide under our coffee table that we have in our office, but only when she sleeps. I figure that she is fulfilling her den-like needs when seeking out the coffee table. But she is always perpendicular to the table when under it…never fully hidden (like your little ones), so her tail and paws stick out!

September 24, 2012 at 09:08

I guess the den feels safe, but why the partial exposure I wonder.