9.15.12 The Rubythroated Gifts

15 Sep

Fall weather has come to the Mid-Atlantic.  I want to show you my three rusty cats in the garden that hold up the raspberry canes and the late roses.  They are very quiet cats and do their job very well.

Photo from Animal Picture Archives

I wish that I could show you the 2 humming birds that keep visiting the rusty cats the last few days.  But, alas, I am not fast enough with the smartphone camera, so you will have to be happy with the flowers and a stock picture. These 2 green hummers keep flying together and sniffing the foliage and than twisting into the sky together: swirl, swirl, swirl, than off they go somewhere around the front of the house.  I have tried several times to maintain a hummingbird feeder, but the ants take over, and it is just so much work to keep filling it daily with the sweet water, so I gave up.  These beauties are a gift when they come to visit in the fall.  And, some seem to come every year.

“Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, Archilochus colubris, are probably the most common hummingbird in the world. They have the widest distribution of any hummingbird species, ranging from southern and central Canada in summer to as far south as northern Panama in winter. This is the only hummingbird species that breeds in the eastern U.S.”  They tend to come visit us in the late summer and then move along.

I love when nature brings me gifts.

Just another DogDaz morning at the zoo <3

Posted by on September 15, 2012 in Animals

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

13 responses to “9.15.12 The Rubythroated Gifts

1. barb19

September 15, 2012 at 01:21

They are truly a beautiful and welcome gift.
    I love your rusty cats – where did you get them from? I could do with something like that for my sweet peas to climb up. Something comical, but with a purpose too.

September 15, 2012 at 08:13

We love to go to roadside nurseries and statues places. V found these in South Carolina on a trip a few years ago. We have some comical stuff hidden around the garden, now that you say that. I will have to take more pictures.

• barb19

September 15, 2012 at 18:01

Oh, please do that, I’d love to see what you got!

2. Bassas Blog

September 15, 2012 at 03:28

It’s wonderful that you are visited by humming birds!

September 15, 2012 at 08:13

Do they have hummingbirds in Georgia?

3. jmgoyder

September 15, 2012 at 03:58

Beautiful!

September 15, 2012 at 08:13

Do you have hummingbirds in Australia?

September 15, 2012 at 07:44

The cats are awesome. No regular rose trellis would do at the zoo!

5. dogdaz

September 15, 2012 at 08:14

Yes, CupCake, you are right. We do tend toward a zooish theme, don’t we?

6. Danilo

September 17, 2012 at 12:33

Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The words in your post seem to be running off the screen in Firefox.
    I’m not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with web browser compatibility but I figured I’d post to let you know.
    The layout look great though! Hope you get the problem resolved soon.

Cheers

September 18, 2012 at 10:06

Interesting, as I am a Firefox user primarily. Do other posts of mine do the same thing? Thanks for the heads-up. – DogDaz

September 17, 2012 at 17:53