10.19.12 Deep Scars

19 Oct

There can be no knowledge without emotion. We may be aware of a truth, yet until we have felt its force, it is not ours. To the cognition of the brain must be added the experience of the soul. ~Arnold Bennet

What is life if not the culmination of the things that we have experienced; the deep and unyielding collection of events that are burned into our memory banks.  Some of them we can not even remember, but they still created a mark, a scar maybe, a ripple in the scheme of our total recall.

Louise is an emotional dog.  She was about 5 months old when we rescued her, and that could be a lifetime of experiences that we just will never really know about.  I think Louise’s start in life was bad.  I know she was neglected, but I think that she probably was emotionally, if not physically, abused.

She is a good dog.  And to those she trusts, she is a sweet dog.  She is leery of strangers and fearful of loud and overwhelming humans. The freedom and abandon she possesses as she runs at max speed across a field is amazing, but then she can quickly hide behind me and snarl at a dog or human that is getting to close or reminds her of something.  I adore this dog but I do not understand her yet.  She is teaching me about her fear and shyness and how the emotions can scar the soul so deeply and longly, that building confidence can become a life long challenge.

Just another DogDaz morning at the zoo <3

Posted by on October 19, 2012 in Dogs

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

14 responses to “10.19.12 Deep Scars

1. bumpyroadtobubba

October 19, 2012 at 00:27

Now that I’ve seen the story that goes with this photo, it makes me even happier that Bubba gave her a kiss!

October 19, 2012 at 07:40

Thanks – Lulu loves kisses and hugs and Baby kisses are the best!

2. jmgoyder

October 19, 2012 at 05:07

A wonderfull post and so wise. Heartbreaking to think of what she may have been through before you rescued her.

October 19, 2012 at 07:39

Thanks. All I really know is that she had a collar imbedded in her neck, mange, and afraid of everything, so I can only imagine.

• jmgoyder

October 19, 2012 at 08:56

What is wrong with people – so horrible.

October 20, 2012 at 03:55

I wonder that all the time.

October 19, 2012 at 06:14

Rescue is sometimes way too literal.

October 19, 2012 at 07:37

Absolutely.

4. themisadventuresofmisaki

October 19, 2012 at 06:29

Hard to imagine what some doggies go through. But glad to know Louise has a happy forever home with you

October 19, 2012 at 07:37

Thanks. She does seem happy with us.

5. Mag (Chancy's Mumsy)

October 20, 2012 at 12:56

Awww, sweet Louise we are so happy you feel safe with your mom and we hope all those fears leave you. We are just so happy you have a loving family now and we are so sorry for what you went through before they found you and brought you home. Hugs and nose kisses

October 20, 2012 at 14:33

Thanks. Time is the healer of scars. <3

October 27, 2012 at 12:10

It is wonderful that Louise ended up with you and your family so that she has someone who is understanding. How unfortunate her life started out not so good, it is in the first months of a young dogs life that make such a difference in their behavior as adults and if they miss that opportunity it can be very devastating.

October 27, 2012 at 15:10

Yes – Lulu will always carry some of those scars, but I am lucky that we found each other so that we learn to heal, together.