10.24.12 Being At The End Of The Line

24 Oct

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Why is it that most dogs like to walk as far out on the lead as they can? They may not pull or jump, but they like to be at the ‘end of the line.’  Or is it actually at the ‘front of the line?’  Either way, almost any dog that I have had, likes to take the lead as far as they can.  I know that leading is suppose to be my job and  I am sure that many of you animal trainers out there are saying that I am being ‘lead around’ by my dogs (which is probably not a good thing from a leadership stand-point), but sometimes, and usually on our sniffy walks around the neighborhood, I just don’t mind.  Sofie is more of a follower than a leader.  She is off leash 99.9% of the time and usually a bush or 2 back sniffing away.  Louise is a step ahead.  Lulu is on the leash because I just do not trusted that she will not bolt into someone’s yard if she sees a squirrel or other creature.  When is it OK to follow their lead? Am I suppose to keep them tight by my side and at my heel in all situations? But this is the sniffy, go potty, walk, so should I care?.  I don’t mind being at the end of the line – as long as I am the leader.

Just another DogDaz morning at the zoo <3

Posted by on October 24, 2012 in Dogs

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

17 responses to “10.24.12 Being At The End Of The Line

1. Jessica

October 24, 2012 at 01:23

I am totally with you! Being an only “child” and living in an apartment (meaning: no backyard), Taylor does not get out much, nor socialize much. So, her 1-2 walks a day are full of excitement for her, and it shows by how she sometimes walks her mommy! Having Taylor “in front of the line” is not a huge deal for me, though. I have learned to pick my battles. ;)

October 24, 2012 at 07:41

True – picking your battles is always a good thing

October 24, 2012 at 06:16

I am ALWAYS on my leash (sometimes even in the house if the doorbell rings and I start going too cuckoo). Mom teaches me that on pavement, I need to heel right next to her. When we get to the grass or my field where I have to take care of business, she lets me walk ahead of her and get a little farther away, but no pulling! I still have to walk like a nice girl. Walks are fun!

October 24, 2012 at 07:41

You are a nice girl, Cupcake

3. Clowie

October 24, 2012 at 06:25

I have to walk close some of the time and some of the time I’m told I can go to the end of the lead and sniff around.

October 24, 2012 at 07:40

Sounds like a good plan

4. themisadventuresofmisaki

October 24, 2012 at 12:07

I have to walk to heel on the pavements:-( But once we hit grass or anwhere fun I can walk on a loose lead. If I’m extra lucky I get to go on the extendable one then I can really explore or if no one’s about I get to run around off-lead :-)

October 24, 2012 at 12:37

Off-lead – now that is cool!

5. katiebblogs

October 24, 2012 at 13:12

If I followed Cocco’s “lead” we would stay eating grass forever!
    Oink oink,
    Katie and Coccolino the mini pig

October 24, 2012 at 14:42

Hehehehe – the dogs eat a lot of grass too. OOL (Oink Out Loud)

6. Luke's Adventures

October 25, 2012 at 10:10

When I’m on a leash, I like leading too. If I get distracted and fall behind, I run to the front and lead again.

I love being off leash as well. I’m quite co-dependent so I need to have eye contact with a human or else I’ll run back.

October 25, 2012 at 10:22

Ah, a good lead/follower you are Luke.

7. Jodi

October 25, 2012 at 11:53

As long as they aren’t pulling me I don’t care. Mine seem to be in competition as to who will actually lead. They are both much better when one of one, but that is way too time consuming for the weekdays! I say as long as it’s working for you, it’s fine. ;-)

October 25, 2012 at 12:55

Since Sofie walks off leash, it is not as hard as it used to be with 2 on lead, but getting Lulu to not pull is a challenge. We love our walks together, but one on one would be great – but almost never possible.

October 27, 2012 at 11:59

I do let mine have sniffy time especially at the beginning so they can get it out of their systems but I constantly work on heel so that they know that is a must do and when I say heel it means now and not when they feel like it. I think training is a lifelong ongoing thing!

October 27, 2012 at 15:14

Misty – you were very busy today with comments. Thanks. Yes, training is an endless task, but we are working on the same thing. I seem to have trouble sometimes with both of them remembering the immediate response rule.

• Misty Shores Chesapeakes

October 27, 2012 at 15:25

LOL can you tell today was the day for catching up. I decided to take one blog at a time and read until I was all caught up and then try to stay that way :)

I hear ya on the immediate response, we struggle with that some days ;)