DogDaz Zoo: So Far, Sofie Good

17 Feb

WW 2.17

The last few weeks were rocky, but I think Sofie has turned a corner!!!!  So Far, Sofie Good.

With the addition of Melatonin to Sofie’s night time medicine, she is making it through without night terrors.  Her sucking seems to be up a little, but she is getting more rest (and, of course, so am I).

I have been taking Melatonin for years to help me sleep and when I travel.  It never dawned on me that it could help Sofie sleep too.  The more I researched it, the more I found that it has been used for noise phobia, thunder phobia, anxiety, insomnia, and epilepsy in dogs. And it helps horses and even cats safely.  (I am learning about cat Chronic Dysfunction Syndrome (aggression against the owner, strangers, or housemates; inappropriate elimination; increased vocalization; disturbances in the sleep cycle; excessive grooming; and disorientation or confusion), but that is for another post.)

If you search on the word “melatonin” at The Whole Dog Journal you find a list of the following articles:
· “Reducing Your Dog’s Anxieties”
· “Chill Pills”
· “Stop the Panic”
· “Bring In Da Noise”

Why none of my vets, even my holistic vet, ever mentioned adding this to her mix, I don’t know.  But I found it and SO FAR,  SOFIE GOOD!

Posted by on February 17, 2016 in Animals

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

21 responses to “DogDaz Zoo: So Far, Sofie Good

February 17, 2016 at 04:45

Good girl, Sofie! Your medicine is helping you rest and helping your family rest, too. Your mom is a smart cookie. …..hmmmm – did somebody say cookie??

February 17, 2016 at 06:54

Cookies for everyone!!!!!!

2. fredrieka

February 17, 2016 at 06:10

much of this has been shrugged off due to having ample drugs to choose from. I prefer natural remedies

February 17, 2016 at 06:55

As you know I went the holistic route for almost a year with her before I started the human medicines. I have found, for myself, and for the animals, that we first look to homeopathic, then to chemistry. Since herbs were the first medicine I don’t get why people don’t look there first. 🙂

3. Animalcouriers

February 17, 2016 at 08:29

Very interesting indeed that melatonin is working. Can’t wait for your post about using with cats.

February 17, 2016 at 08:54

I need to do more research on that.

4. zannyro

February 17, 2016 at 08:43

I had no idea that melatonin had this effect on animals. Thanks for posting this!

5. zannyro

February 17, 2016 at 08:44

I meant to also say that I’m glad your Sophie is doing better 🙂

February 17, 2016 at 08:55

Thank you. I am seeing the old Sofie return.

• zannyro

February 17, 2016 at 09:10

You have made a life improve, Sophie is so lucky to be yours.

February 17, 2016 at 11:05

Aww thanks – I love her very much. She makes me smile.

6. paws2smile

February 17, 2016 at 10:23

Yayyyyy! That’s fantastic! 🙂

February 17, 2016 at 11:05

Sooooo good!

7. Will (MarkingOurTerritory.com)

February 17, 2016 at 10:40

Great news! Hopefully it’s smooth sailing for you guys from here.

February 17, 2016 at 11:06

Sleep is a #1 priority. Now we can start dealing with other anxieties.

February 17, 2016 at 14:31

Oh that is great.

February 17, 2016 at 15:04

Thanks. A work in progress

9. speedyrabbit

February 18, 2016 at 12:14

That is good news,restful sleep is important to feel well during the day time,Keeping our paws crossed for you,Still trying to do research for you but my Internet is on a go slow at the moment so I’m in the process of changing company’s and the current one has turned my speed down even more since I gave notice,Next couple of weeks is going to be a hard slog till the change over happens very frustrating grrr,xx Rachel

February 18, 2016 at 13:41

Slow internet – how frustrating. Can you go to a WiFi hot spot cafe to get your daily fix ? Thanks for the well wishes. Hop on lil’ bunny.

10. Groovy Goldendoodles

February 24, 2016 at 11:06

That’s wonderful. How long do you think she’ll need to use it? Happy to hear you’re getting some rest yourself.

February 24, 2016 at 11:27

Sadly, I am thinking this is a long term medication. I was delayed in giving her the evening dose by one hour and she had a bad evening… coincidence or timing?