DogDaz Zoo: A Life Full Of Fur

28 May

When P’nut was born, there was Alice (on the back of the chair),Nikki (a Cocker Spaniel who thought she was a cat, on the back of the couch), Rosie (my soul cat who died a week after this picture was taken @20), and Gertrude, who was too shy to meet the baby. P’nut was 1 day old in this picture.

new born

P’nut is walking in her University graduation today. Though she really finished school last December, this is when they do the cap and gown thing. That made me look back at her life so far, and all the animals that I brought into it. I think that raising children around animals is a wonderful and loving lesson. Because I chose to share my life with all these critters, so did P’nut. Since the moment she arrived she was surrounded by fur.

Cats: Rosie, Gertrude, Alice. Exit Rosie, enter Cuddles, Zackary, and The Muffin Man. Exit Alice, then Gertrude, and enter Miss Constance Kitty and Noel. Exit Zackary, Kitty, and Muffin, and enter Nine and Stella. Exit Cuddles and enter Mini Cooper. And there is also Aunt B’s cat (that we rescued and drove from Maryland to NY), Jazzy, and P’nuts many feral cats from her year in Israel, especially Soshanna. Every feline teaching different lessons about independence, affection, and silliness.  Cats definitely teach patience, I think.

Dogs: Nikkolette (Nikki) and Squash E Bear. Exit Nikki and enter Louise. Exit Squash and enter Sofie Bear. Each dog teaching endless lessons in unconditional love. Also another big influence in her life was Socki, Tante Judy’s canine companion, who taught us that dogs can be amazing helpers. I think the dogs taught her responsibility for something other than one’s self.

Horses: From Honey, her first pony, to Sport, and the many other leased horses over the years whose names I forget, this girl loved to ride. I am remembering one major fall she took off of a horse named Cinnamon. I sat and watched the horse refuse the jump and P’nut’s 10 year old self fly through the air into the sand (she was OK, just bruised). I know it is a cliche but, she learned the age old lesson of getting back on the horse after you fall off. I think the horses also taught her confidence, bravery, and humility.

Guinea pigs: (I just realized I forgot to include the Guinea pigs in the collage – I am so sorry little ones.) First there was Sam. Exit Sam enter Georgia and Mr. Moto and their babies, Bubba, Checkers, and Mo Jr. and then the foster, Samore.  Learning that rodents can be sweet and funny furbabies, even when they pee on you, teaches one that things don’t always turn out as you planned, but you can change your shirt and move on (I know she struggles with this one).

cgrad2016

I can’t believe the years of hugs and cuddles, kisses and purrs.  Happy college graduation ceremony day, Baby.  From all your fur siblings over the years. ❤ ❤ ❤

Posted by on May 28, 2016 in Animals

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

10 responses to “DogDaz Zoo: A Life Full Of Fur

1. fredrieka

May 28, 2016 at 06:22

What great memories and furballs.

May 28, 2016 at 07:40

Thanks. I guess that’s why she’s vegan.

May 28, 2016 at 06:28

You’re right about raising kids with animals around. So much to learn. Ditto raising pets with kids around. We can learn a thing or too from the P’nuts of the world. No kids live with me, but Mom always takes me places to see kids to make up for it. Congratulations to P’nut!

Love and graduation licks,

May 28, 2016 at 07:43

Thanks, Cupcake. Your Mom keeps kids in her life and yours which is so nice, especially when she writes kids books. 🙂

May 28, 2016 at 07:26

it was great to walk memory lane with you, you were a super tourguide… and I wish your P’nut a wonderful college graduation day…. and a happy Memorial Day to you all :o)

May 28, 2016 at 07:43

Thanks,Easy. Life tours are fun.

4. Groovy Goldendoodles

June 1, 2016 at 15:55

That was so sweet. I hope she saves this post and cherishes it always.

June 1, 2016 at 22:28

Me too. I am very proud of her. Thanks.

5. Peyton

June 3, 2016 at 18:26

Very nice memory lane. I agree that raising kids with pets are important. We did the same animals except the horses, we used fish instead.

June 3, 2016 at 21:36

Oh I forgot about our 3 fish tanks. Thanks.