DogDaz Zoo: Comfort Your Fearful Dog

15 Mar

Good article on comforting your fearful dog.

“Fear is an emotion. Emotions are involuntary responses.

Reinforcement refers to an increase in behavior. Behaviors are voluntary responses.

Fear is something you feel. Behavior is something you do.”

Posted by on March 15, 2017 in Cats

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

12 responses to “DogDaz Zoo: Comfort Your Fearful Dog

March 15, 2017 at 09:33

that is very wise… and we should keep that in our minds always when we have to master a challenge caused by fears…

March 15, 2017 at 09:45

Yes that is true. Always remember that emotions need to be validated. Behavior can be changed.

2. Tom's Nature-up-close Photography and Mindfulness Blog

March 15, 2017 at 15:57

🙂 One of our dogs, a Shih Tzu, is very frightened when storms come by; we comfort her and it helps some. She never changes with regard to her reactions to storms.

March 15, 2017 at 20:52

Sofie has a lot of anxiety. We use a thunder vest and lots of white noise.

March 15, 2017 at 16:02

Interesting article. I all makes sense. I am always afraid of reinforcing Cupcake’s crazy fears. This makes me feel better.

March 15, 2017 at 20:57

Me too. I always worry that I baby them too much. But they need to feel safe.

4. Miss Harper Lee

March 15, 2017 at 17:51

Good information. I’ve just read about so many dog friends who were frightened by the recent nor’easter winds. Fortunately they have very good humans who did everything possible to comfort them.

March 15, 2017 at 20:58

My 3 are still unnerved. It is like 40 mph out there. The cats also are shaken. Can’t wait until it quiets.

5. tippysmom2

March 17, 2017 at 09:14

This makes sense to me. When Tippy was a puppy and experienced her first storm, we went into the garage and played games until the storm was over. She has never been afraid of them, so I think that may be why – she associates them with fun. She was also afraid of my lawn equipment (leaf blower, lawn mower, etc.). With those, I just continued to use them and let her run away from them if she felt the need. I’d set the leaf blower down so she could sniff it. It took her a while, but she is now fine with all of that. I’m glad she isn’t afraid.

March 17, 2017 at 11:59

You are a good dog parent. Sofie is very fearful of everything. Louise, mostly the vacuum monster. Charles is pretty mellow.

• tippysmom2

March 17, 2017 at 20:55

Tippy doesn’t like that vacuum monster either, but instead of wanting outside now, she just gets out of the room I am vacuuming.