Why Are My Readers Disappearing?

15 Apr

I have noticed a trend that has started to worry me a little.  It appears that my readership has dropped off considerably.  Some days it is like everyone is gone.  Now I am not advocating that people spend all their time on the internet, but I used to get like 250 readers in a day and now I am getting 30.  Is it something I said?  Am I not tagging my stuff properly?  Or is the stuff I am talking about really only of interest to me and a small group of family and friends (who are probably just being nice because I told them I have a blog)?  I enjoy blogging, and mostly I do it because it is fun, but I would like to write about things that other people find interesting too.  So let me know if you have any ideas.  Or maybe it is just spring in the Northern Hemisphere. – DogDaz

Posted by on April 15, 2012 in Uncategorized

Tags: , , , ,

39 responses to “Why Are My Readers Disappearing?

1. zannyro

April 15, 2012 at 19:43

Did you check your spam? Another blogger had to do a little digging and found that somewhere in the settings? or something area,,,some of her bloggers had been changed to spam for some unknown reason>>just a thought..I’m reading!!!! 🙂

April 15, 2012 at 21:24

Hey Thanks – I will do that. A lot of times the Spam is full of really wierd stuff. Thanks for reading.

• zannyro

April 15, 2012 at 23:04

You’re welcome..I really enjoy your blog!

2. MaryNell

April 15, 2012 at 19:57

I must admit I don’t read every day (or write on my own blog) for just the reason you mentioned: spring and lots to do. But please keep writing/linking. I always enjoy what I read, and will read more regularly during the hot days of summer.

April 15, 2012 at 21:26

Thanks MaryNell. I must say that it is almost impossible to read all the blogs I would like daily, and I don’t expect it. Since I am relatively new at this, I just was trying to figure out the cause for the trend. Appreciate you stopping by when you can. 😉

3. jmgoyder

April 15, 2012 at 20:20

It is a strange and unpredictable thing isn’t it. I have the same thing where one day there will be hundreds of readers and other days not so many – I am going to check the spam thing out too! Anyway, like zannyro, I’m reading!

April 15, 2012 at 21:28

Thanks – I am absolutely finding the bloggesphere unpredictable.

4. bumpyroadtobubba

April 15, 2012 at 20:31

We love your blogs! And most days I read them straight away, but if not I defintiely play catch up every couple of days. It’s odd isn’t it. Days I post a blog that I don’t think is particularly amazing (rarely, but it does happen – LOL) I get huge readership, then other days when I really love my blog, I don’t get anywhere near the readership I thought I would. This blogging world is a strange one at times. Please keep sharing your stories with us – we like hearing from the zoo. x

April 15, 2012 at 21:29

I find the same thing. Sometimes I could spend all day writing something that gets very few hits when posted and the lesser ones, get a lot. Funny isn’t it.

5. colliesofthemeadow

April 15, 2012 at 20:38

Hi!
    Our numbers are up and down like a yo=yo right now. Some days are huge and other days very, very low. I think is it due to it being spring and with the nicer weather ppl are going outside more…. just a thought. By the way, we love your blog and dont let this discourage you. I think we all are experiencing this.. 🙂

God Bless You!
    the collies and chuck 🙂

April 15, 2012 at 21:30

Thanks Chuck. I guess I was feeling a little whiney today. Your encouragement is greatly appreciated.

6. tinykitchenstories

April 15, 2012 at 20:38

I think it might be because you don’t truncate your blogs. I can read your whole post in the email that gets sent out, which means I don’t need to click through to your blog to read the whole post. If you use the “read more” delineator tool, you might find that your numbers go back up! 🙂

April 15, 2012 at 21:31

I will look into that… I am not exactly sure what it is. Thanks Tiny.

7. Paws To Talk

April 15, 2012 at 20:39

We doubt it’s something you said. We love the zoo and will continue to support. We hope things get back to normal soon.
    *kisses*
    Bella and DiDi

April 15, 2012 at 21:31

Kisses are always greatly appreciated!

8. Twinkle with the feisty4poo-mix dogs

April 15, 2012 at 22:50

it’s something to do the weather and not on the content of your posts…here in our country, It’s summer time (which means less time indoors and more fun under the sun)… keep posting and have a nice day 😉 xoxox Vanilla Bean

April 16, 2012 at 07:38

Thanks Vanilla Bean – What country are you in? Fun outdoors is very important, especially for dogs!

9. Debbie@kindnesskronicles

April 15, 2012 at 22:52

I’m still reading! 🙂 And I find similar, although I am not getting huge numbers to begin with, yet. Chalking it up to people having other things to do, springtime, etc. If you do find something though, please share! And keep writing…

April 16, 2012 at 07:39

Thanks Debbie – I will absolutely share if I find anything.

10. Lindy MacDuff

April 15, 2012 at 23:51

I enjoy your blog and often times share with my friends via FB the cute pictures you post. I just recently went back to work, however, and I don’t have as much time to visit all the blogs like I used to, let alone update my own. That’s the main reason I like receiving e-mail notices of blog updates and also the “like” button that WP provides. I may not make it around every day but I do try to get over here every couple of days. I have no intention of unsubscribing. Chalk it up to the mild winter we had and everything blooming early. People want to be outside. I’m sure it’s nothing you said. You have a very friendly blog. 🙂

April 16, 2012 at 07:43

Thanks Lindy and congratulations on going back to work (I hope). I definitely understand being busy. I made a commitment to blog every day but I too do not get to Read the blogs I love everyday.

11. monicastangledweb

April 16, 2012 at 01:22

I follow and read a lot of blogs that I like, including yours. I make it a point to always comment on the ones I read, which most of the time (not always) brings people back to mine to read and comment. I’m assuming you do the same thing re reading and commenting. I find that’s what brings people back.

Now, most of the ones that I follow post two to three times a week. If it’s more than that (like every day or multiple times in one day), then it’s hard for me to come back and read each time. I don’t think its a seasonal thing, as some here have suggested; For example, I’m very busy with a full time job, my home life and writing my blog–stuff that happens all year long. So if you’re finding a dip, and you’ve been reading/commenting on other blogs, you might want to try discovering new blogs to follow, etc., and expanding your base.

You’ve got a very nice blog. I love the pictures you post. Someone suggested truncating the email that gets sent out everytime you have a new post. That generally works for bloggers who write a lot, and most of the time your posts are photos, so I’m not sure it would work for photos. My only suggestion would be to try to keep your posts to once a day. Too much more than that, and people may start feeling overwhelmed. If you need help with the truncating thing, I’m happy to walk you through it. I recently helped someone else with that. 🙂

April 16, 2012 at 07:46

Monica – I appreciate your support. You are one of the most consistent commenters and I appreciate that greatly. Actually, I wondered how you had the time. The more blogs I find that I like, the less time I have for my favorites – but a good problem to have. Thanks for keep coming back.

• monicastangledweb

April 16, 2012 at 10:09

Yes, you’re right. A good problem to have, but worth it. Another bonus I’ve discovered when commenting is that sometimes new readers discover you just by reading your comments, which makes them curious to find out more about you and so they visit your blog. It’s so nice when that happens! 😉

12. heretherebespiders

April 16, 2012 at 02:36

I didn’t get online much this weekend myself. My hits were 21 on Sat, 85 on Sunday… Seems everyone is off doing other things!

April 16, 2012 at 07:47

Spiders – Thanks for validating it was nothing I was doing. And bravo for all the people going outside!

13. Jodi Stone

April 16, 2012 at 11:02

I notice in general a drop in readers over the weekend and especially on days when the weather is nice.

I was trying to think of a nice way to say what Monica said. Thank you Monica.

I think more than one post a day can sometimes be overwhelming for the reader. For me, I put the blog in my google reader and it tells me how many posts I have. When you follow about 50 blogs (like I do) and you sign on and see 192 posts, sometimes you skim through them in the reader and just click on the ones that peak your interest.

I have to say though, my blog has been up for about 16 months now and I don’t think I get 300 views a day, so you must be doing something right!! 🙂

April 16, 2012 at 11:55

hummm…. I am new to Google, so I am going to have to learn this reader thing. thanks.

April 16, 2012 at 18:34

Mom and I will never disappear! We LOVE reading about dogdaz mornings at the zoo!

April 17, 2012 at 18:10

Thank you Cupcake and Cupcakes Mom! That is so sweet of you.

15. petrel41

April 19, 2012 at 10:56

Hi, there are big ups and downs in my blog stats as well. They are, I think, unpredictable, and may depend on just the right word (which word is unpredictable) for a high Google ranking etc.

I lost many readers last December when I had to re-start on WordPress after it was announced that my Blogsome blog would disappear (it turned out to disappear just two days ago now). All my blog posts from Blogsome are basically now on my WordPress blog. However, most still have links to old Blogsome posts which have disappeared. Lots of internal working links in blogs seem to help with Google.

My readership stats are going up slowly again now after the December “catastrophe”.

April 19, 2012 at 11:50

Sorry about all the changes, I absolutely understand transition issues. Thanks for commenting.

16. eof737

April 21, 2012 at 22:37

If you are referring to your stats, Google recalculates its algorithms from time to time and it has an impact on the flow of traffic to our blogs. Also certain holidays have an impact… ditto weekends. Don’t worry too much, It will shift again… Have a happy weekend. 😉

17. orples

April 24, 2012 at 12:12

I think the problem is spring is here, and more people are out and about doing other things. My stats have gone down too. Then again, I’m not blogging as much as usual either. It is probably the season. No worries, I’m sure things will pick up soon. 🙂

April 24, 2012 at 12:33

Thanks for your encouragement

• orples

April 24, 2012 at 12:38

Serious, my stats have dropped by about 75% this month, partially because I’m not blogging as much, but a lot of it is due to the fact that a lot of other people aren’t either. I’m sure it is temporary. Wait until the weather changes, I’m sure the stats will too. Chin up!