5.24.12 SO-fie Good

24 May

I am amazed at Sofie Bear these days,  I am so happy with her, she is like a different dog then the one that came to live with us 1-1/2 years ago.  Sofie is at the point now that we can do a total walk around the neighborhood without the leash.  She comes when called and rarely gives me any bad behavior,   I must say that if I go for to many days without reminding her whose boss (me!) she can slide a little, but I would expect that.  If someone told me I would be this big a fan of the e-collar method, I would have told them they were crazy, but the collar, along with 4 weeks of training (for me mostly), is what really really did the trick.  I notice many people with e-collars on their dogs, but the collars are to loose or not positioned correctly.  I also think that a lot of people buy them but don’t really know how to use them to get the kind of behavior modification that they are looking for.  I hardly ever had to correct Sofie with the collar, which surprised me.

Watch out Lulu Belle, you’re next!  Mommy likes the idea of 2 off-leash dogs.

Posted by on May 24, 2012 in Dogs

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

11 responses to “5.24.12 SO-fie Good

May 24, 2012 at 06:19

So encouraging to know there’s a plan b for people not able to get results the easy way. Good for you – sticking with it.

May 24, 2012 at 06:51

Thanks. I still use the clicker and treats too. Because doggies love treats!

2. Doggy's Style

May 24, 2012 at 08:51

I had to Google e-collar, just like I did when I first heard of the clicker. As for now the clicker is working fine with my furry beast, he’s still a puppy and puts on shows once in awhile, I would give e-collar a try if necessary, looks interesting.

May 24, 2012 at 13:25

Clicker training is great and very successful. Sofie is a very independent and strong willed dog who is not treat motivated. Click, treat, click, treat, and you puppy will be a good doggie.

3. cometscorners

May 24, 2012 at 14:14

This is great we’re so pleased for the both of you 🙂

May 24, 2012 at 15:21

Thanks

4. colliesofthemeadow

May 25, 2012 at 13:02

Woo Hoo! Cool!!!! I used to be able to walk Niamh, Hallie, Anya and Trevor without leashes. The others… not so muc so. Now all those collies are gone except Trevor who cant go for walks anymore…. we used to have great adventures…. and we will again…. 🙂

May 25, 2012 at 13:15

Yes – Squash and I could walk anywhere off lease with no problems. The little one’s will learn. Trevor is walking in his dreams down those old trails, I am sure. 🙂

5. 2browndawgs

May 26, 2012 at 10:54

I am glad the ecollar training worked out so well. I think too many dismiss it without really understanding what the tool can do.

May 26, 2012 at 12:16

Do you have one for each dog or do you share?

• 2browndawgs

May 26, 2012 at 12:24

We have two with one receiver for when the dogs are out hunting. They wear them out hiking in the woods, but probably Thunder won’t and Freighter will get that one. Thunder is old enough that he doesn’t need one when not he is not training.