Please Send Prayers For Louise

26 Aug

Warning: This post may be a little graphic for weak stomachs.

lulu the day she came to live with us

Lulu the day she came to live with us

Remember a few month’s ago I told you that I thought Louise had squatted on a rose-bush or something and cut her behind?  She was on antibiotics and I thought it healed.  Well the other day I noticed not only one cut but multiple and an abscess on her anus.

I am very upset to report that Louise has been diagnosed with Perianal Fistula Disease.  This is a serious condition and I am very worried about her.

A perianal fistula is a severe lesion that develops around a dog’s anus. A fistula is an abnormal pathway from something inside the body to the surface of the body. “Perianal” simply means the area around the anus.

In perianal fistula disease, there is often more than one lesion. The result is chronic, persistent draining ulcers that are very painful for the dog.

Perianal fistula disease is also known as anal furunculosis.

The vet says that they are not sure but think this disease is auto-immune (it just is, she did not catch it from something or someone).  There appears to be some genetic basis, especially in German Shepherds who are predisposed to this condition. Approximately 80% of the dogs affected are German Shepards and most are male.   (Louise is neither a German Shepard nor male, but…)

From what I am reading, they use to think the problem was related to how the dog carried its tail and the presence of a type of sweat gland that produces a stinky oily sweat in the anal area (common in German Shepard).   Some articles said that they cut off the dog’s tail to try to treat this – but that does not seem to be suggested today.   (The Pet Health Library)

Lulu is being treated now with a heavy antibiotic, then we will move to a cyclosporine, and ultimately, if we have to, prednisone.  This is not going away but maybe we can make it so unremarkable, it will not hurt her.

She is OK, but I am concerned about long term drug treatment on a 3 1/2 year old dog.  I pray that we caught this early and she will respond well.  Right now, I am just trying to keep her from the constant butt licking (and Sofie nosing her – which she never did until recently.)

lululove

Please light a candle that she does well on the treatment.

Have any of you ever had a dog with this problem and what have you done about it?

NOT Just another DogDaz morning at the zoo ❤

Posted by on August 26, 2013 in Dogs

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

59 responses to “Please Send Prayers For Louise

1. bumpyroadtobubba

August 26, 2013 at 00:23

Ouch! Sending lots of fuzzy and non-fuzzy loves your way Lulu, sending pawsitive healing vibes too. xox

August 26, 2013 at 07:39

Thanks

2. Nanina and Poppy

August 26, 2013 at 01:27

I have not had a dog with this disease, but did have one who was on Prednisone for many, many years. Zeke was a collie/lab mix diagnosed with Addison’s disease at age 2. He took Prednisone daily for 14 years, and received monthly shots, living to be 16 years old. He died from a totally unrelated problem well into his 16th year. Once you get your dear Lulu’s fistula under control, she will live a long, healthy, energetic life!!! Sending all my love and prayers …

Nanina

August 26, 2013 at 08:01

Nanina – Thank you for the hope.- Lorian

August 26, 2013 at 04:14

Prayers and healing thoughts for Louise. I’ve never heard of this disease, but she’s young and strong, and medicine is amazing. Hang in there and of course keep us posted. xoxo

August 26, 2013 at 08:02

Thanks. It is scary at first, but she is amazing.

4. Doggy's Style

August 26, 2013 at 04:55

I hope she responds nicely to treatment. I was watching a medical show the other day and there was a man with a problem like this (I know human anatomy is not the same but often the treatments are) and they removed the problem with a tiny and quick surgery, let’s hope she doesn’t need surgery.
    Best wishes.

August 26, 2013 at 08:03

Surgery is the final option, but humans are able to deal with this stuff better than dogs, since we tend to understand we may not be able to sit for a month. Thanks for the thoughts.

5. lisafree5303

August 26, 2013 at 06:14

I’ve never heard of this at all; so sorry for you and Lulu, but def will keep her in our prayers. God is the healer every time and he loves our doggies more than we do, thankfully! Putting Lulu in the Lord’s hands for complete healing of these ulcers and that the meds will work as they’re intended and not cause more problems. Blessings to you today and always!

August 26, 2013 at 08:14

Thank you Lisa. I know that prayers are very powerful. I do believe the great power gave us science also to help us down here on this imperfect planet. – Lorian

6. Emmadog

August 26, 2013 at 07:43

Oh dear, that sounds painful and like a real issue. Hopefully they can get it under control. I would look around to make sure there isn’t something long term to help besides Prednisone as that is such a rough drug. We have never heard of it.

August 26, 2013 at 08:12

Yes, Emma, I am starting to research Holistic changes, like allergy free diet (which she is already on). But I will get more aggressive this week on finding answers. Thanks.

7. MaryNell

August 26, 2013 at 10:10

I haven’t read due to weak tummy, but I am certainly sending prayers.

August 26, 2013 at 12:56

Thanks. It’s not so bad.

8. Savannah's Paw Tracks

August 26, 2013 at 10:44

Oh no sweet Lulu….I just could not click the like button…*sad eyes*… So young to have this pawful condition. Purrlease give her some soft paw pats from me….Savannah

August 26, 2013 at 12:57

Thanks. She is smiling back at you

9. ksbeth

August 26, 2013 at 12:17

oh no, i wish her well in her recovery

August 26, 2013 at 18:13

Thank you. Here is hoping.

August 26, 2013 at 12:43

Oh poor Louise. I will cross my paws and you are in my thoughts. That’s so sad, I hope you will find a treatment what will help her.

August 26, 2013 at 18:12

11. speedyrabbit

August 26, 2013 at 12:49

Poor baby,snuggles and cuddle from us both that Louise gets better under the treament,xx Rachel and Speedy

August 26, 2013 at 18:12

Thank you very much. Snuggles help

12. Miss Harper Lee

August 26, 2013 at 17:05

Poor Louise and poor you, too. My human mommy is sending prayers your way, and my paws are crossed for both of you.

August 26, 2013 at 18:11

Thank you both. Keep the healing energy coming.

13. sassybrat1904

August 26, 2013 at 23:26

Prayers said and sent for Lulu.I hope she heals quickly. She is a lucky girl to have her human to care for her.

August 27, 2013 at 08:14

Thanks. I do wish all critters had human allies

14. readingwithrhythm

August 26, 2013 at 23:53

What a frustrating disturbing time for all of you at the zoo! But I’m sure that with your loving hands to take care of her, Lulu will be good as new before long. Sending love and prayers from the 7 Acre Wood.

August 27, 2013 at 10:56

Thanks so much. I do hope that she will be feel no pain.

15. Mags Corner

August 27, 2013 at 07:22

We are so sorry to hear this about sweet Louise and we will send up prayers for that sweetie. We hope the medication will work to make her all better. Hugs

August 27, 2013 at 10:49

Thanks – we are hoping

16. Jodi

August 27, 2013 at 13:31

Poor Lulu, we will definitely add her to our prayer list!!

August 27, 2013 at 14:17

17. angelswhisper2011

August 28, 2013 at 16:09

You can treat a fistula/abces with homeopathic remedies and as far as I know, they dissappear in time. Especially on animals is the treatment auspicious. I can’t tell you what remedy Louise needs, because homeopathy works personal and you can’t buy every homeopathic medicine in a drugstore, but I certainly would advice you to see a homeopathic vet. I’ll pray for the Sweetie and Little Binky sends Healing Pawkisses 🙂

August 28, 2013 at 20:28

Thanks. I will look into it.

18. Jessica

August 28, 2013 at 18:54

I am so sorry to hear about Lulu…definitely sending prayers your way! Also, I’m normally not one to give advise when it is not asked for, but I agree with angelswhisper2011 in seeking out a homeopathic or holistic vet if it is at all possible.

August 28, 2013 at 20:29

Will do. Thanks

19. Jameela Al-Nakkas

September 22, 2013 at 22:27

Aww I hope shs is doing better!

September 23, 2013 at 08:26

Thanks – the medicine appears to be working. Yeah!

20. caitlin

December 16, 2013 at 18:37

AWW sending all my love, poor thing:(
    My Collie/German Shepard cross,
    Had his yearly check up on 5th November 2013, all was good.
    On the 27th November he was diagnosed with Anal furunculosis.
    Since then he has been taking anti- biotic’s and 5mg steroids twice a day.
    He has an increased appetite, drinking A LOT of water, does not like to be in a warm room as he pants a lot, he started to wet his bed at night so I have been getting up with him 3-4 times a night to let him out for a wee and this morning and he had done a big wee on the floor for the first morning, is this a side effect of the steroids and is it likely to settle down or get worse? As he is only a few weeks into this treatment.

December 16, 2013 at 19:42

Caitlin – Sorry to hear about your boy. How old is he? This is a more common ailment in German Shepard’s, so you should be able to find support in some on-line groups. Louise is doing really well. She finished the heavy duty medicine in November and so far, so good. It appears all the fistulas have cleared for now. I did not want to put her on the steriods and that is why we went with the cyclosporin (but it was crazy expensive). You can see an update at https://dogdaz.com/2013/10/03/thankful-thursday-getting-better/ Best of luck to you and your puppy. I would definitely think the pee problem is the drugs. Keep me posted – Lorian

21. pam

April 4, 2015 at 18:31

Hi there my Pam I reading about your dog I have dog he name Ace he have pf right now he have take the dug cyclosporine for 6 months now and still not healling I don’t know what to do next

Liked by 1 person

April 4, 2015 at 20:09

Pam – Have you changed Ace’s diet at all? Louise also needed a change of diet to really see results, though the medicine did help. – Lorian of DogDaz

• pam

April 4, 2015 at 23:35

Yes we change he diet now he on Zd about 6 months now and the veteran put him on Tacrolimus 0.1% Hydrophlc ointment but he have very side effects so bad so we take the ointment off but he still on med just got done clean him and him pumpkin don’t know why when he poo he strains and crying he poo not hard

Liked by 1 person

April 5, 2015 at 10:08

Oh my. So sorry.

• pam

April 4, 2015 at 23:39

How Louise ? He better now? Thank you reply

Liked by 1 person

April 5, 2015 at 10:09

Lulu is doing very well. We make sure she only has allowed food and treats.

• pam

April 5, 2015 at 21:37

What brand name dog food and name treats that you give Louise? How long Louise on med ? And name med that Louise take may I ask Louise try poop lots when he sick?

Liked by 1 person

April 5, 2015 at 21:43

Louise eats zd wet and dry. I freeze balls made from the wet zd and give as treats. Also use the dry zd as treats. She also gets cooked vegetables (she loves green beans and carrots). She was on cyclosporine for 6 months. As long as her diet is kept clean she does fine. When she is sick she can move her bowels many times in a day.

• pam

April 6, 2015 at 09:02

Thank you so much for reply me back !!! Ace he can only eat dry Zd we try wet Zd he get sick vomiting Ace he he got so much side effects every thing 😦 One time I try change different dry food duck Hillside diet and he itch itch we go back. Zd now and poo okay but still cry when he poo thank again you have nice day

Liked by 1 person

April 6, 2015 at 10:37

What type of dog is Ace? Sounds like he has some very bad internal issues. If ZD dry works don’t switch. Best of luck.

• Pam

April 9, 2015 at 18:07

hello dogdaze how are you? can I ask you one more thing? what brand cyclosporine?med? and how many mg that louise take? when louise sick she go poop she cry? can hope me you the onlyone that I can write and lean lots pf please write back if you have time thank pam

Liked by 1 person

April 10, 2015 at 07:47

Hi Pam- I purchased Louise’s Cyclosporine capsules from 1-800-PetMeds (with a prescription from Vet). She took 100 mg twice a day and then we tapered down over time. They were manufactured by Teva Pharmaceuticals out of Czech Republic. (I am USA) Louise is not a dog that cries about anything so, no she does not cry when her stomach hurts. For her the problem was lots of blood in loose stool, fistulas on the anus, and colitis. She is doing very well on the ZD as long as I keep the life stress down. Hope this helps. Every dog, like every human, is different and will respond to medicine and food differently. – Lorian

22. pam

April 4, 2015 at 18:46

Hello every one my name Pam my dog name Ace he 3 yeas old now he have pf when he 2 years old we take him to 3 different veteran and One she think he have pf he on cycsloporine med for 6 months now and still not healling I trimming he hair roud he anus and clean him with antibiotic shampoo we change food Zd diet give him litter pumpkin but every time he poo he crying need some good idear if anyone know about pf. Please let me know how take care Ace thank

Liked by 1 person

April 4, 2015 at 20:12

Pam – If Ace is not responding to ZD and cyclosporine and the vet does not have other ideas, I think you are in a difficult situation. Have you tried Ace on a simple diet of chicken, rice, and pumpkin? https://dogdaz.com/2014/06/24/tasty-tuesday-dogdaz-chicken-rice/

• pam

April 4, 2015 at 23:47

Yes we give pumpkin and I cook chicken bread and rice change he dry food Zd Monday we take him back to vet see what she tell me what to next never hear PF on dog before I read online lots and learn lots thank you reply

Liked by 1 person

• pam

April 6, 2015 at 16:33

Ace Germanshepherd we got Ave when he 5 months old we don’t know what go on with when he puppy, but we know people we rescue Ace they rent house that can’t have pet so Ace stay out by him self out small fence in out country farm some time no or water for days 😦 we take him in family we love him like our kids we take him to Vet when he starts getting sick one vet check he blood work and check stood 5 different samples and all come back good$ 800.00 dollars vet bills than 3 months later he sick again take him local vet this time she find out that Ace got Perianal fistula 😦 Ace on cyclosprine about 6 months now he better but spot still not heal don’t why ,see vet today she tell me give one more on med