Follow Up Friday: New Year Rant

10 Jan

Today is Follow-up Friday hosted by Jodi from Heart Like A Dog.  This is where we review the week behind so that we can launch into the week ahead (or something like that).  But today, I am going to rant about the last 6 months, if that is ok with you?

There is so much to follow-up with since I have been back from China in late November.  I have kind of lost my posting rhythm that I had for the last 2 years.  Life has really been a whirlwind since last summer when I got laid off retired.  When I was working full-time I had my days neatly planned and the blogs both were on the publishing schedule as part of my day.  DogDaz was a post-a-day with universal animal pictures and a post-a-day with personal zoo stories.  My business blog was twice a week.  But that has all changed.  I am lucky if I can get once a month with my business blog.  And DogDaz, well I have been able to keep up the post-a-day pictures, but the personal stuff has been limited mostly to blog hops.  I miss the routine and am trying hard to regain it, but sometimes, it just takes time to control chaos.  I still reply to every comment that people write me, but it has become incredibly hard to visit all my blog friends like I want to.  That makes me frustrated and sad, but I need to focus on different things now (like closing business).
bw lulu snow 2012
The dogs and I have been through a lot over the last few months.  Louise as you might recall was being treated for Perianal Fistula Disease.  She was on heavy-duty medication in October and November and appears to have gone into remission (Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah).  I took them both for their annual check up 2 weeks ago and everything seemed fine with her.  But…. on Monday I noticed a very large bump around Louise’s shoulder. Freaked me out. I am thinking Lyphoma from all the toxins she had from the medicine, or something worse. Rushed her to vet.  Dr Kate said it is a Granulomas reaction to all the vaccines she was given a few weeks ago.  Oh my!  Have any of you had this type of reaction in your dogs?  It is hard tissue that forms when the body is trying to reject a foreign substance (like a vaccine).  Dr. Kate said warm compress and it will go away in a few weeks.  Hope so.  It doesn’t seem to bother Lulu, thank goodness.  She is only 4, which is to young for all this sicky stuff.  Would you discontinue vaccines?
IMG_20140103_094500_110 I don’t know if I have blogged about Sofie’s increased obsessive behavior.  Barking at every sound, having to gnaw on something constantly (including herself).  Dr, Kate says she is a herding bred and needs a job.  Great!  I need a job too! That doesn’t mean I gnaw on my arm (well maybe).  She has been diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). I guess I have to find a flock of sheep and get her herding.  But it is minus 12 degrees Fahrenheit outside so I am not going to be able to sheep herd anytime soon.  I am trying to keep her busy (actually both of them) in the house and I bought her a ‘Thunder Shirt’ (she is wearing it in this picture) to try to calm her from the sounds of life and to also make her feel more secure.  Has anyone tried a shirt for OCD?  When do you put it on?  Did it help your dog?

My theme for 2014 is ‘Controlling Chaos.’  That seems to be my life right now. Managing the development of my business while maintaining my sanity with my zoo, my family, and my health. My health is stress stress stress, so I really need to change that..Ah, but this is a blog about the animals, not about me, so I will leave complaining for another day.

Lulu is poking me and wants to go out in the freeze.  Please take a moment and accept this invitation to a snowball fight!
3d_snowman_2
We are back!
The cats seem to be doing ok right now, thank goodness!  Noel started to come out into the living room and interact much more with K8 and V while I was in China.  She has continued to do that now that I am home and it is a good thing.  I do miss her in my office with me when I am there (like now), but her new place appears to be on the kitchen chair, under the table, where I put a blanket for her before I left to keep her warm.  That is her home now and it gives her more ability to watch the world then she used to have.
Noel peeking
That is Noel looking up from the kitchen chair (with her blanket) and wedged against the kitchen table.  She is just cracking us up these days.

That’s it for the week. Thanks for playing along with us.  Check out the hop below and you can go play with others.

————————————————————————————————-

Follow Up Friday is part of the blog hop hosted by Heart Like A Dog.

Posted by on January 10, 2014 in Cats, Dogs

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

14 responses to “Follow Up Friday: New Year Rant

1. speedyrabbit

January 10, 2014 at 01:52

things will settle down,you just need to add a little structure to all of you lives then these little things will iron them selves out,and may be teaching Sofie some tricks and a mini asault course for her will help with her compulsion,good luck things can only get better in 2014,xx Rachel

January 10, 2014 at 08:54

Thanks Rachel. I am sure some of the changes for them are the changes from me. Routine would be good. – Lorian

January 10, 2014 at 05:28

I hope for a lot of comments, I always thought such a reaction is just a problem for kitties… I hope it will go away after a while, like your vet said. Please give Lulu and Sofie a big kiss from me.

January 10, 2014 at 08:53

Thanks Easy. They are both wonderful crazy doggies and appreciate your support.

3. Jodi

January 10, 2014 at 10:17

Oh man, I feel for you I really do. The stress is hideous. I’ve been trying so many different ways to limit the stress. Have you considered BioFeedback? It’s been a life saver for me!

Sorry to hear about Louise, my take on vaccines is this: we vaccinate for rabies and Leptos, but that is all. I always consider where my dogs go in terms of contemplating vaccines. For instance we hike and they are exposed to environment that has a lot of animals so we vaccinate for the disease carried by wild animals (Leptos.) However they don’t go to daycare or to the dog park where diseases like Kennel Cough and Distemper might be found, so we don’t vaccinate for that. When they do need Rabies and Leptos in the same year, they get their shots about two weeks apart. It costs me another office visit but I firmly believe that more than one vaccine can overwhelm an immune system. Please note, this is my personal belief, every single person should make their own decisions about what is right for themselves and their pets. I also discuss their vaccines with my vet and do the ones she recommends. They also had all the necessary first shots, so she feels they are protected. Obviously if something changes, I’ll be sure to consult my vet.

I hope everyone at the Zoo has a less stress 2014.

January 10, 2014 at 15:16

Thanks Jodi. Now, we don’t do Leptos (unless it has another name) but we do bordetella, distemper, and lyme. I have heard from others that lyme may be the culprit. I agree with you from now on with spacing things out. On the personal front, I did biofeedback many many years ago and maybe should look at it again, Stress will be there, it is how I internalize it that makes the difference. Take care – Lorian

January 10, 2014 at 13:08

My cousin dog named Machismo (who is NOTHING like his name) wears a thunder shirt. It helps him be less afraid of storms and fireworks. Sometimes, cats in my neighborhood hide under cars and look at me like Noel is looking. It scares me, but mom says the word, leave the cat alone.

January 10, 2014 at 15:12

Smart of Mom to tell you to stay away from weirdo cats. I do wish Sofia would listen when I tell her to not chase them, but she means them no harm.

5. Sandy

January 10, 2014 at 15:37

I believe in vaccinations for myself, my 2 legged kids and my 4 legged kids. You can control where your dogs go but you can’t control where their “dog friends” have been. Lulu, I get bumps sometimes when I get shots to. It will go away.

Best of all our animals will not get one of those horrible diseases. Have a good weekend!!

January 10, 2014 at 16:30

Thanks Sandy. The diseases scare me a lot too.

6. Emmadog

January 10, 2014 at 16:03

I would have a serious conversation with your vet about vaccines. I know we only get what we really need and leave most of the optional ones out. Maybe getting too many at once caused the problem and they need to be spread out. I know that happens but it is something that the vet should look into.

January 10, 2014 at 16:30

Thanks Emma. I never even thought about it until now, but you are absolutely right.

7. Dogs N Pawz

January 10, 2014 at 23:12

I feel ya when you talk about being stressed out! I wish I knew how to deal with it but I don’t. We have lots going on here at our house and I think 2013 was one of the worst years for us ever. Just hoping 2014 is much, much better. Every one has different ideas about vaccines but our dogs get theirs every year. Guess it is a good thing cause when Scout and Ash went to doggy jail when Phe crossed over the rainbow bridge, they wouldn’t have let us have them back if they hadn’t been vaccinated. So, guess it was a good thing that they were up to date!

January 11, 2014 at 07:59

I agree that they are needed. I think next year I will spread them out. Stress is such a waste of energy, don’t you think? Here’s to a calmer 2014!