DogDaz Zoo: How To Spot Bloat

05 May

tumblr blot

Symptoms of bloat include:

• hard, swollen abdomen that may make a hollow sound if tapped
  • retching that produces no vomit OR produces foamy, white vomit
  • drooling/salivating excessively
  • whining
  • pacing/restlessness
  • lethargy
  • stiff-legged walk

If your dog shows signs of having bloat, call your vet IMMEDIATELY. Every second counts. Bloat is extremely painful and without quick veterinary intervention your dog will probably not survive.

Check out this video of an akita in the middle to late stages of bloat.

Check out this article on what bloat is, the varieties of bloat, its symptoms, and the typical treatment plans.

The best predictor of a dog’s chances of getting bloat are its relatives. If your dogs family has had bloat, your dog is at an increased risk. Other risk factors include:

• deep, narrow chested dogs
  • feeding to soon before or after exercising
  • raised feeding bowls
  • gulping food/eating too quickly
  • eating one or two large meals per day
  • overeating
  • overdrinking
  • dry food diet

Just so everyone knows more about this, bloat is basically when a dog has eaten a large meal, exercises and the stomach actually flips. It is very very dangerous for your dog and can causes death in several hours. Know the signs of bloat. It could save your dogs life.
(via e-pic)

Posted by on May 5, 2015 in Dogs

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

14 responses to “DogDaz Zoo: How To Spot Bloat

May 5, 2015 at 07:19

it’s my nightmare… and I watch Easy like a hawk after his meals… his mom died from bloat and although her owner is a vet, Easy’s mom lost this fight :o(

May 5, 2015 at 08:16

Oh that is so sad. I too get concerned because, like Easy, Louise has that big chest and goobles her food so fast. All we can do is the best we can do. – Lorian

2. raisingdaisy

May 5, 2015 at 09:05

I’ve been concerned about this since I first read about it on another blog, but that one didn’t explain it as clearly as you did and I was afraid I wouldn’t recognize the signs, plus I didn’t know the risk factors. Thanks SO much for this wonderful post. We don’t know Daisy’s family history, but she only seems to fit one of the categories so far, and that’s the dry food diet. I’m hoping that going on her regular walk right after eating isn’t considered “exercising”. Daisy has more of a barrel chest, but she is very focused when eating, so maybe to be more sure she’s not gobbling her food, we’ll get her one of those puzzle bowls that force dogs to slow down.

May 5, 2015 at 09:38

I walk dogs before dinner but it is slow and sniffy. I figure ‘exercise’ is more running around (like dog park and fetch). Always good to watch them after eating. Glad it was helpful. – Lorian

• raisingdaisy

May 5, 2015 at 15:36

We tried walking Daisy before her meals (we still try it from time to time), but apparently she’s got a “something in, something out” metabolism. 😉

May 5, 2015 at 17:55

Hahaha – Good to know.

3. Will and Eko

May 5, 2015 at 10:56

Really great information to share. It’s something I always keep in mind with my two and one of the main reason I bought slobowls to slow down meal time.

May 5, 2015 at 11:02

Can you put wet food in these ‘slobowls?’

• Will and Eko

May 5, 2015 at 11:36

Don’t see why not. In fact, I think it would work well for wet food since pups would have to work more to get into all the nooks. Plus the bowls are dishwasher safe so they’re easy to clean.

4. Earl Lover

May 5, 2015 at 11:55

Excellent post. Well done. My dog’s eat from slow bowls.

sumskersandearlskers13.blogspot.com

May 5, 2015 at 11:58

So many people are telling me that. I guess I need to look into these slow bowls for the girls

5. sanseilife

May 5, 2015 at 19:20

Yikes! I have a 14 year old gsd that is a bloat survivor. Fortunately I knew the signs and got him to the vet in time. No damage to any of his insides. He was a lucky boy.

May 5, 2015 at 19:26

Great ! So glad you knew what to do.

6. sassybrat1904

May 5, 2015 at 22:58

Reblogged this on Not A City Girl Any More ! and commented:
    I have heard people mention about bloat and never really knew about it. So I pass this on as it is good information.