DogDaz Zoo: Sofie and Mom Update

30 Mar

Sofie and Fetch

My eye surgery went very well.  My challenge now is trying to see with one eye that has the new long distance lense but still has trouble close, and the old eye that still needs glasses for everything and also has a cataract. I thought I would jump right back on the computer, but that work seems the hardest of all to see. The Doctor recommended store-bought readers to help the new eye (can’t use my regular glasses because they are too strong for the new eye). Oh my! If the doctor doesn’t want to fix the other eye soon, I will have to figure out a long term solution. But for now, I am doing my best and feel fine, though I can’t see the way I want to.

While I had surgery, Louise and Sofie went to Sonya’s, the pet sitter. They were there for 3 nights (brought them home a day early because Nine ran away and I was feeling well enough to take care of them). This was the first time since Sofie has been on the Clomicalm and the Melatonin that she has been away for me. She has been sleeping through the night without night terrors for about a month. The first few night’s home she was fine then BAM! – 2 nights in a row the night barking and anxiety behavior returned. Also, while she was gone, Sonya said she had an asthma-like attack. It is allergy season, but the Vet did not want me to give her Benadryl because of all the other stuff. Sonya did say that she thought Sofie was too sleepy and she cut back the Melatonin to 5mg from 7.5mg. Could it have been that? The short separation?

She slept through the night after those 2 events but, my luck, I had to leave on a business trip the following Sunday for 2 nights (so back to Sonya’s for the doggies). Sofie did not have any breathing problems that time. However, 2 days after she got home, she had a night terror.  Clearly it wasn’t the smaller dose of Melatonin because I went back to 7.5mg as soon as she came home. Maybe the separation from me or from home? Does she go into a deeper level of sleep at home and that takes her into the terror state?

We went to the vet last week and agreed to 20mg of Zyrtec (a non-drowsy allergy med). She is sleeping and seems her old silly self. She is no longer wheezing or scratching (my other giant fear with an obsessive dog because of the damage she can do to herself). You are a lesson in balance for Mommy, that is for sure, my little Sofie Bear. Now if I can only figure out my eyes.

Someone cannot pass a pile of leaves without a good roll. – That’s my girl!

Posted by on March 30, 2016 in Dogs

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

31 responses to “DogDaz Zoo: Sofie and Mom Update

1. David Kanigan

March 30, 2016 at 02:49

Glad the surgery went well.

2. Nachthawk

March 30, 2016 at 03:27

Hey get well soon… 👍

3. maggie0019

March 30, 2016 at 04:15

Eye hope they can fix the situation soon. I believe stress did get to your girl. Separation anxiety gets worse as they get older. Maggie has to have a few days at the vet at the end of April….I am dreading her trip. (((Hugs))) to all!

March 30, 2016 at 07:30

Thanks for the ((Hugs)). Sofie has trouble even on the days that I have to go to the office and am gone for 10 or 12 hours. Have you tried the pheramone spray. Sometimes it helps Sofie take the edge off for trips.

4. Emmadog

March 30, 2016 at 07:03

My mom had mono vision lasik a few years ago which is where they fix one eye for distance and leave the other as is for up close. The first two weeks she had a slight headache, but then her brain adjusted to the new normal. Stairs were also tough in the beginning and putting on eye make up was a real challenge, but it all worked out and she is happy as a clam. It is a whole different thing, yet a similar problem at first. Hopefully your issues will get straightened out too.

March 30, 2016 at 07:32

I understand the headache, that is for sure. At least my long eye is not cloudy anymore. Brains are amazing things, aren’t they?

5. fredrieka

March 30, 2016 at 07:04

amazing how much better she is with the natural supplements and meds. Glad you found a solution. Glad you stuck with her to many would have given up only to make her life worse not better. Kudos and high paw

March 30, 2016 at 07:34

It is rarely an option to ‘not stick with’ my angels. But I do agree, especially with as disruptive as her problems have been, another human might have just ended her life. That is just stupid. And a shelter… that would have killed her quickly with all her anxiety. Every being is special and they deserve all the love in the world.

• fredrieka

March 30, 2016 at 08:02

I agree

March 30, 2016 at 07:05

I hope she will be 100% sofie bear now without a break. Hugs to you and all my good wishes for the next eye fixing… my mother went to an optic store and they were so kind to make her special glasses for the waiting time. after the second eye was in “final condition” they only replaced one glass and she was satisfied(she still needs glasses because of refracting angle issues).

March 30, 2016 at 07:37

I will always need glasses too because I am definitely refracted – BOL.

7. Will (MarkingOurTerritory.com)

March 30, 2016 at 10:52

Sounds like there will be a bit of extra winking and blinking in your future, but glad to hear things went well.

March 30, 2016 at 11:02

Glad your surgery went well.

9. Dakota/Caren/Cody

March 30, 2016 at 13:30

Hopefully the other eye will be fixed soon so you will have a matching pair 🙂 In all seriousness, it would be easier for you. DakotasDen

March 30, 2016 at 13:55

it sure would be. Especially when it comes to blogging. 🙂

March 30, 2016 at 15:18

I’m glad your mom is getting her eyes fixed up little by little. I hope there’s not a long wait for the second eye. I am also taking Zyrtec for my allergies after I tried to scratch my face off last week. I even wore the cone to heal up. I’m feeling better now. I hope your night fears are gone for good, S.

March 31, 2016 at 07:55

Thanks, Cupcake. I try to not eat my legs or tail, but sometimes, it is just to itchy, even with the pills. Mom is quick to distract me with a chew toy, and sometimes that works. The Cone of Honor is a wise choice.

11. Jodi

March 31, 2016 at 10:46

Wow, you’ve got a lot on your plate right now. I’m praying things settle down soon.

March 31, 2016 at 11:14

Thanks, Jodi. I don’t even write about half of my load, but I live a blessed life, so I can’t complain. Sofie is my angel in fur, when her world is right.

12. paws2smile

March 31, 2016 at 23:48

Glad the surgery well. 🙂 Hmmm I will have to ask my dad if he’s heard anything for night tremors… And I might have to try Zrytec on Storm. Does that work better than Benedryl? Cuz Benedryl does nothing for her. 😦

April 1, 2016 at 07:30

Benedryl does little for Sofie with storms but did work somewhat for allergies. the Zrytec is mostly for allergies but I am going to try for storms too. Her thunder shirt and cuddling take the edge off.

April 1, 2016 at 07:32

Oh, like Benedryl it’s by weight and Sofie, at 53#, gets 2 tabs.

13. speedyrabbit

April 2, 2016 at 09:44

Good to here in the main the Meds seem to be working on Sofie,and that your Eye surgery wen well,xx Hugs and love to you all,xx Rachel and Speedy

April 2, 2016 at 16:22

Thank you. Time moves on and all works out (thank goodness)

14. Groovy Goldendoodles

April 4, 2016 at 16:31

Happy to hear the news. Take it slow so recovery goes well

April 4, 2016 at 20:30