Monday Mischief: Light Up the Dogs

12 Dec

img_0077

Being December, the fairy garden and Christmas dog are lite up under the DogDaz pines. Since it gets dark around 4:30 PM here, we get to enjoy the twinkling of the holiday lights for a long time in the evening.

The early darkness also means we are walking at a time when many cars are coming home for the evening and people are tired and speeding around the corners. Of course, everything I wear is black, and so is Louise. To keep us safer during the walking time, the girls wear lights around their necks (maybe I should too?). I recently read that flashing light collars are not healthy for dogs (I can’t find the article to share it here). It said that the flashing can scare them, give them headaches, or even seizures. That would not be good. So, to be a good pet protector, I have been putting their lights on the steady mode. My dilemma is that I don’t think people see the dogs as well (check out the video of us blinking below).

What do you think? I like the blinking for safety and I really think that the flashing is actually behind them, so do they really see it?

Do your dogs wear lights when walking in the dark? Do your use flashing or steady lights?

img_0079

You can sure see Louise better in the darkness with her red light on. Sofie’s blue light is almost hidden in all her fur.

Posted by on December 12, 2016 in Dogs

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 responses to “Monday Mischief: Light Up the Dogs

December 12, 2016 at 01:22

I bought headlamps once for me and mark… but we looked so weird with this stuff that we decided to walk a little later in the morning :o)

December 12, 2016 at 04:41

Haha I understand

December 12, 2016 at 05:56

Mom holds a super-bright flashlight in the same hand as my leash. She points it right at me, so I am in the spotlight all the way from my head to my tail. Can’t miss me. It’s also good for finding my poop. Plus making me feel like a star!

December 12, 2016 at 06:56

You are the brightest star. And finding poop helps too.

3. Will (MarkingOurTerritory.com)

December 12, 2016 at 10:09

I think the flashing is definitely more eyecatching, for runners, cyclists or pups.

December 12, 2016 at 10:22

Agree. Thanks.

4. fredrieka

December 13, 2016 at 06:11

that is what we need here on the property this time of year.

December 13, 2016 at 06:36

Have collected holiday things for many years. They are so fun.