Monday Mischief: Chewed Door Repair Video

10 Jul

When I am not home and there is a thunderstorm, Sofie tends to eat through the laundry room door. I have rebuilt the door 3X now. You would think I would just remember to leave it ajar when I go out so this doesn’t keep happening. But, No! I close the door because the cat litter is in there and I don’t want the dogs playing in it. That is why the laundry room door HAD a cat door; which is where I think this eating that particular door all started for Sofie. She first ate the cat door.

Anyway, I have gotten very expert at hollow core door repair, so I made you this video to share my fixing magic, including adding back a cat door. Hope it helps any of you that have to repair a similar chewed situation.

Turn on closed captions in video to read instructions.

What kind of mischief did you get into today?

Posted by on July 10, 2017 in Dogs

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

20 responses to “Monday Mischief: Chewed Door Repair Video

July 10, 2017 at 07:58

yay for a super diy-project.. and even with a window for sofie ;o) I guessed that it works out great as I saw that sofie took the measurement ;o)

July 10, 2017 at 10:43

She is a great helper until a storm comes. Then she disintegrates and so does my door.

2. weggieboy

July 10, 2017 at 08:35

I suspect Phenny ( easyweimaraner , above) secretly wishes the door modification had happened in Phennylandia! I got a big kick out of Phenny’s post today, and this post on dogdaz continues reports on the “habitat modifications” by our furpals.

I laughed when I saw that modified door! Then I was impressed how you took that lemon, squeezed it, and got a great DIY door repair video out of it! Bravo!

I have two Persian kitty boys who try to match their doggy buddies in destruction of printed matter and furniture, so I am sympathetic!

July 10, 2017 at 10:45

Thanks. With kitties my life is full of throws over furniture and duct tape where they have destroyed beyond repair. Oh what we do for these creatures.

3. weggieboy

July 10, 2017 at 08:40

p.s. Those Amazon boxes are universally approved up by the whole household here – cat and human – for their universal suitability for play and storage. Now that I’ve seen their utility in a door repair, I’m further impressed that they are the best part of ordering from Amazon! LOL! No wonder Jeff Bezos is a multi-billionaire and you and I aren’t.

July 10, 2017 at 10:46

My cousin is in the box business and they are very rich. Not me. But I am poor and happy.

4. Jeanne Bellis

July 10, 2017 at 08:56

we use an extra tall baby/pet gate with a cat door built in…not sure why I’m suggesting this though, because 2 of the 6 dogs ‘squeeze’ through the cat door hole. So I still keep trying to find different ways to isolate the kitty litter box! I tried using rubber bands to make the doorway narrower yet still my one fat cat, Blueberry, to squeeze in. Somehow, it has to be better than door reconstruction?

July 10, 2017 at 10:48

Dogs that are motivated to get there, will get there, no matter what we devise, I think.

5. paws2smile

July 10, 2017 at 13:00

Awwww poor girlie! 🙁

Ha ironically, the back ground music sounds like our home fire alarm and I started to watch the video and Storm became alert. Anything that even remotely sounds like our alarm and she freaks out. I turned down the volume but she still sat alert. So I didn’t get to watch the whole video but I’m sure it is a nice video! Lol! Have a great week. 😃

July 10, 2017 at 13:48

Wow. That’s interesting.

• paws2smile

July 12, 2017 at 12:36

Haha that’s what I thought. Unless there happened to be one of my neighbor’s fire alarm going off while watching your video that I couldn’t hear.

July 12, 2017 at 13:18

Well maybe try again another day. 🙂

6. pibblelife

July 10, 2017 at 16:50

holy moly that is one chewed up door!

July 10, 2017 at 17:08

Yes it was. She has chewed that door 3X now.

7. The Island Cats

July 10, 2017 at 17:45

Wow! You aren’t kidding when you say she eats through the door.

July 10, 2017 at 20:30

No, not kidding. Not funny. But she doesn’t seem to loose teeth, so that’s a plus.

July 10, 2017 at 18:02

Oh, no, S. That was very naughty chewing. I know you couldn’t help it because of the thunder and all. I love your little head looking through the cat door at the end of the video. Maybe your mom will remember to leave that door open for you… And hopefully, you won’t find something else to chew.

July 10, 2017 at 20:31

Thanks for the nod. Mom tries to remember things but it doesn’t always work. I guess that is why we have metal front door, so I can’t eat my way outside.

9. Mags

July 11, 2017 at 12:31

We see sweet Sophie snoopervised the door repair which by the way is some smart and money saving work. Sweet Sophie you are one super chewer. There are a lot of good uses for boxes and we will remember this one just in case. Hugs and nose kisses

July 11, 2017 at 12:56

Thanks for the nose kisses, Mags. She is a super chewer but only on doors. She seems to never destroy toys.