About a week after I was home from the hospital for my back surgery, Nine started to sneeze, a lot. Then a few days later he started throwing up and stopped eating. Then he started throwing up just bile because he had nothing in his stomach (at least that is what we figured). We monitored his output and we were not seeing much (with many animals in the house, though it may sound weird, we know the box habits of each – some cover, some don’t, some use the side – Catpeople know what I am talking about.) Something was not right and we were worried. He was sleeping more than usual and we hoped that it would pass.
Days went by and he was not eating and the gagging continued. He looked dehydrated and failed my pinch test. I tried to get him an appointment at the Vet (it was Friday) but both my vets (our dogs and cats have different ones, don’t ask) were booked until next week. On Saturday, we were getting overly concerned (it has been over a week), so we decided to take him to Vet Emergency (thank goodness for them). What if something was blocking his stomach? What if he was dehydrated and we could not help him? What if…. I researched cat flu, viruses, everything I could. A big fear of mine is that whatever it is will pass on to all the other animals.
Nine must have overheard me making the appointment at Vet Emergency because he totally disappeared. We assume it was into the rafters of the basement (he does like to hide up there). We could not find him for hours. Remember now that I just had triple disc back surgery, so I was of very little help to V around all this because I could not bend, lift, or twist. I called Vet Emergency back and told them that as soon as he reappears we will get him there (it was now late Saturday afternoon).
Finally, he reappeared and we were able to scoop him into the carrier, and off we went to Vet Emergency. Being that it is COVID time, of course, we could not go into the appointment with him, but they make sure to let us know that it would cost lots of $$$$ and they asked if we were ok with a minimum of $XXX before they did anything. What could we do? We said “sure.”
We waited and waited and waited, and then the Vet called and said they did not see any problem upon examination and could they take x-rays, and other things, and of course, you know what we said, “Please find out what is wrong with him.”
We waited and waited and waited, and the Vet called and said they did not know what the problem was but they would send him home with an expensive appetite enhancer and see if that worked. Or we could bring him back on Monday for a $900 test if he was not improving.
5 hours later we all came home (I was not supposed to be sitting in a car that long right after surgery but I forgot that until I tried to walk, the things we do for our loves). Nine went back to his bed and we just shook our heads and wondered what we just put him and ourselves through to have no answers.
Over the next 48 hours, he continued to be sick, not eating, not outputting. Nothing appeared to change. So finally, I gave him this appetite enhancer. Later that nite he was a little hungry, so we started to give him some wet food, then some dry food, then anything he wanted. I gave him the appetite enhancer again the next day. It took a few days, then he appeared to be his old self again. Actually, worse, he is beating everyone up, and being the very spring has sprung Tomcat, running the house and everyone in it.
We will never know what the cause of his illness is or was, but for now, all is well.
P.S. When I had cataract surgery a few years ago, Nine decided to run out the door and get lost for a few days. He always seems to do something when I am at my weakest. Thanks, Nine.