Tag Archives: Xylitol

Monday Mischief: Marshmallow Removal Tips

Yep. Someone, whose name I am pretty sure starts with an ‘S,’ got into something in V’s office when we were visiting Stella. I was not sure what it was at the time but I caught her eating a bag that looked like it must have contained some icing or something, at least that is what I thought.

But, alas, it must have been marshmallow* because later I found white sticky stuff on the rug and one of her stuffy toys. Well, now I know how to get marshmallows out of the carpet.

Simply rub a few ice cubes on the spot until the marshmallow gets hard. Then using a backside of a butter knife, scrape the frozen stuff until it comes away from the fibers. Repeat the freeze/scrape action until it is gone.

Mello 2

Mini thinks Sofie is just downright dumb!  And tonight she is dumb with a tummy ache (but she is fine).

*Marshmallows can be dangerous for pets. Not just because they are all sugar, but because they may contain Xylitol which can cause almost immediate liver damage.

What kind of mischief did you get into today?

Just another DogDaz morning at the zoo ❤


Posted by on January 11, 2021 in Dogs


Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Xylitol – Understand it or it could be fatal to your dog.

I am seeing so many article on this lately that I think it must be causing a real problem in the dog world.  Please make sure you keep all gum and sugar-free candy away from fido.

Reblogged from Life With Dogs:

Xylitol is a sugar substitute in many products, most notable some sugar-free gums and flavored medications.  Xylitol is safe for people (and oddly, cats), but is very toxic to dogs (and probably ferrets).

If your dog has or may have ingested xylitol, call your veterinary team and have your pet examined right away.  Xylitol, even in small amounts, causes an over-production of insulin, which causes a horrendous sugar crash, or, more accurately, hypoglycemia.

hyp/o – low

glyc/o – sugar

-emia – blood

Signs of Hypoglycemia in Dogs

  • lethargy (abnormal tiredness)
  • shaking
  • ataxia (loss of balance)
  • inability to stand
  • seizures

Do not wait for signs to develop!  Insulin release and resulting hypoglycemia begin almost immediately.  Left unchecked, very low blood sugar or liver failure secondary to xylitol toxicity can be fatal.  With treatment, the prognosis is usually good.  The sooner a xylitol toxicity is treated, the better the prognosis.


You are home from the veterinary hospital with a recovering pet, considerably poorer, a bit shaken by the close call and anxious for the recheck appointment, still weeks away, in which you will hopefully learn that there was no long term liver damage.  You rid your home of all xylitol-containing products and warn friends and family of the dangers of xylitol toxicity in dogs.

Alternate Ending

You finish an article on xylitol toxicity and think, “Hmm, that was interesting…I guess.”  You rid your home of all xylitol-containing products and warn friends and family of the dangers of xylitol toxicity in dogs.

May your pets’ health be boring in the best possible ways, and may you never deal with xylitol toxicity in Real Life.


Posted by on February 6, 2012 in Dogs


Tags: , , , , , , , ,