8.11.12 Good Work, Girls; You Make Mommy Proud

11 Aug

I am so proud of the dogs.  This week I have left them alone twice for increasing longer periods of time in the house, out of their kennels. First it was for about 2 hours.  But today I had to go visiting and to dinner, and I knew that I would be gone a long time because I had to drive over an hour away.  I locked the kittens and crazy Miss Kitty away so that they could not get into trouble; I gave everyone a really good snack (because I knew that I would be late for dinner); and I left (I don’t believe in making a fuss or they will fuss).  I was gone 5 1/2 hours.  This is a first for me and for the dogs.  I have never left them unsupervised, out of their kennels for that long.  On my way home I was envisioning shredded couch pillows, ala Wonderbutt, or chewed up pens with ink everywhere, or a dead cat (though Noel would more likely kill them before they would get her or Muffin).  But, other than mauling me at the front door, they were great.  This is so exciting.  I hate to go out for more than maybe 3 hours when I have to leave them in the kennels, though I have left them as many as 6 hours.  They probably just sleep, but I worry about stiffness and such, even though they can stand and turn around.   I really want them to be able to be out, except at night, and that really is because they like to wake me up to play at weird times (which I attribute partially to the fact that they are not usually out at night when I am sleeping, but also because they are not allowed on the bed, so they need to get close to me somehow).  This is a new phase at the zoo.  Free roaming canines.  I like it and I hope they keep up the good work.

Just another DogDaz morning at the zoo <3

Posted by on August 11, 2012 in Dogs

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

14 responses to “8.11.12 Good Work, Girls; You Make Mommy Proud

August 11, 2012 at 06:21

That is always SUCH a stressful test. Out-of-the-crate-waiting is scary. Such good girls! You’re so brave. I did it in 15 minute increments. The first time I left Cupcake out, I just drove around the corner and walked back. I peeked in the window and she was sitting with her nose almost touching the door staring cross-eyed at the last place she saw me. Pathetic, but hilarious.

August 11, 2012 at 09:11

That is so cute. And is she out all the time now?

• Genevieve Petrillo

August 12, 2012 at 10:13

Yes, in fact, I just gave away the crate because we never use it. I have a travel crate in case of an emergency. She doesn’t stand at the door anymore. She watches me leave and then hides in the kitchen squeezed between the stove and radiator, so nothing can scare her while I’m gone.

2. forcingmyselfhappy

August 11, 2012 at 09:35

Hello!!
    Don’t freak out and think I am crazy, trying to make you buy into a pyramid scheme or am an imprisoned prince looking for bail money!
    My name is Lisa Hutchison and I have a blog called ‘Forcing myself happy’ –Basically I will be doing one thing to make me happy every day for 6 months. Today the challenge was ‘Make new friends with the same interests as you’! I noticed that you had one of the same interests as me and so am asking you to be my friend! :D I know this sounds bonkers. But it would be lovely if you could go to my blog and leave a wee comment saying hello.
    Thanks. Your potential new friend Lisa! :D hehe

August 11, 2012 at 11:39

The zoo always welcomes strangers to our table. Welcome, Lisa

3. Margarita

August 11, 2012 at 11:01

Congratulations!

August 11, 2012 at 11:37

Thank you – we will try it again today. Wish us luck.

August 11, 2012 at 21:25

Good news in deed! I love when they get to the point of being trusted home alone :)

5. Bassas Blog

August 12, 2012 at 02:26

I am pleased to hear that you are now a free roaming mommy! :)

6. Long Life Cats and Dogs

August 12, 2012 at 08:52

Fantastic. Now you know you can trust them, being out of their crates, whilst you are busy elsewhere. Great break-through.

September 23, 2012 at 21:00

Thanks – trust works – as long as there is nothing they can eat around.

7. Jessica

August 15, 2012 at 19:24

Wooo Hooo! What a huge milestone for your girls! And I bet that is one less weight off your shoulders! :)