8.2.12 What leaving looks like.

02 Aug

Here is a sequence of Sofie and Nine watching me drive away. (How sad is that?)  You can see the reflection of the car in the front door glass.  This was the image I was left with on my way to the airport.  Two of my goofballs snuggling and watching me go.  Notice how Sofie is straining to see me over Nine in the last shot.  It is so wonderful how close the animals are.  Sofie had no idea that Mommy would be gone a long time.  She just knew that I was leaving the house and getting into the moving thing without her.   I have talked about separation before, but this trip was a really hard one for me and for the animals and humans.  Probably because of the length of time (10 days). For me, my animals are a calming and life enhancing force.  I miss my humans very much too, don’t get me wrong.  I need my humans as a constant sustainable energy of love and comfort, but the animals, my need for their presence is different.  They give me a sense of peace.  They are my home.  They are the earth force that seems to remind me to eat and take walks during the day.  Having so many animals, there is always someone near by wanting something;  pet me, feed me, let me out, walk me, play with me, scratch my head, hold me ….    I adore my zoo.  I find great comfort in the company of animals.  So, this is what leaving looks like at the zoo.  What’s it like at your house?

Posted by on August 2, 2012 in Dogs

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

13 responses to “8.2.12 What leaving looks like.

1. jmgoyder

August 2, 2012 at 00:46

In reading your posts and thinking about my own pets, there is one thing animals do so well and, perhaps, better than humans – they do unconditional love.

2. bumpyroadtobubba

August 2, 2012 at 01:56

I love this post. Mine earth me and help calm me when I need it! It is so sad to leave them – whether it’s for 10 hours or 10 days, but the welcome home (your previous post photos made me laugh) is worth the trip to the store (or to the other side of the world). I quite often duck home after work to turn our heating on, give Bella and Beary some love and get things ready so that when I pick Bubba up from day care I can solely focus on her for the small amount of time before she goes to bed. And it doesn’t matter that they’ve seen me for 10 minutes and I’ve only been gone for 5 minutes, I get the same glorious greeting again when I come home with Bubba. Or maybe it’s their greeting for Bubba? I know she starts calling Beeba and Beary when we’re parking out front or walking up the street, and I’m sure they can hear her little high pitched voice!

August 2, 2012 at 08:24

I love that Bubba calls their names before she even gets in the house. They are her family and she knows it. As a single parent with an only child, the cats and dog were Peanut’s first playmates at home every day. I think that is wonderful. And, they welcome you too as the leader, like you said, even after a few moments. Glad I could make you smile.

3. Doggy's Style

August 2, 2012 at 03:49

The last pic is great.
    My furry beast statys on the window motionless when I leave. I experienced for the first time what leaving Doggy behind was like 2 weeks ago, when I got to the airport he was the only thing in my mind, I said hello to my significant other but all the love was for Doggy lol

August 2, 2012 at 08:26

I am sure that Doggy was very happy upon your return. It is hard not to think about your constant companions when away from them, isn’t it?

• Doggy's Style

August 2, 2012 at 08:52

Before Doggy I found it easy to travel with work, I would travel 4 out of 7 days, I would come and go and was part of my routine, you learn to live with it. However, since Doggy arrived, I had to change my schedule, I know Doggy depends on me, I know he’ll eat if I’m gone, he’ll be taken good care of, but there are things that he wont get like his early morning run(which he loves), his long play dates at the park and his late afternoon swimming sessions and most important the training. It’s the first time I have this kind of responsibility.

August 2, 2012 at 09:46

Isn’t it wonderful to have such a loyal and trusted companion, who depends on you, and makes you a better, more responsible human. I like it. Some people don’t, but I am sure that Doggy appreciates your change.

August 2, 2012 at 06:13

I send Mom the sad face through the front window when she leaves me. She always looks back and laughs because I am so ridiculous, but she’s always sad to leave me. She’s my only human and I’m the only pet in her zoo.

August 2, 2012 at 08:27

How sweet. I am sure that you are a heartbreaker. Mom may need to get you a fish to keep you company when she is gone. Low maintenance, but something to watch. LOL

5. Jodi Stone

August 2, 2012 at 09:55

I don’t let them watch me drive away! LOL That would break my heart, but when I am leaving for an extended period of time Sampson seems to know. He sits at the top of the stairs and droops himself over, just watching.

August 2, 2012 at 10:25

Funny – Louise does that. It is so pitiful. Sad eyes and droopy paws.

August 2, 2012 at 17:45

Great post and I love the photos but they could break your heart!

Mine get all excited thinking they will be going too but when I walk out the door and leave them behind I look a very sad faces that are frozen like statues.

7. whatimeant2say

August 2, 2012 at 18:17

They are such great companions for each other!