11.13.12 A Lesson In How Not To Train Your Dog

13 Nov

So the girls and I were out at the school yard running around.  I wanted you could see the joy that Louise has when in an open field with no scary other humans or animals to distract her.  I tried to capture a moment on video.  Then as I was looking at the video, I realized the probably everything I did was reinforcing the wrong things.  For example. I call the dogs to me.  They start to come but they don’t get all the way there.  So I call them again, repeatedly.  This is wrong, right?  I should be able to call them once, and if they loved me listened to me, they would be right in front of me in a good sit position until I released them. But NOOOOO!, I gave them treats anyway and reinforced the, wishy washy behavior.  Then, when I released them, I kept talking.

(Note to Mommy trainer:  Stop talking so much because you confuse them.  Only treat when they really do what you asked.)

We were having the best run when a boy on an ATV (All Terrain Vehicle) came loudly and speedily into the school yard and scared us.  Thereby stopping our freedom and also causing Louise to go back into the fearful place.  What is an ATV doing in the neighborhood anyway?  Are they even allowed in such a populated area?  After we regained our composure (Louise on leash), the noisy monster left, we walked home happy and tired.  I do hope you like the little Non-Training Video, especially listen to the smacking sound when Sofie takes the cookie.

(Another Note to Mommy trainer: Tired dogs are happy dogs (or something like that).  They had fun and that is important.)

Posted by on November 13, 2012 in Dogs

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

14 responses to “11.13.12 A Lesson In How Not To Train Your Dog

1. Tya Khan

November 13, 2012 at 01:46

am still glad u leave them out in the field, i cannot even begin to imagine to leave pepsi and coffee in any open ground, pepsi i will will come back to me, am not too sure about coffee, she will be too happy to be running around to give me any importance 😛

November 13, 2012 at 06:37

I am afraid to do it too with Louise because she is not fully trained, but she loves to run so much, and if Sofie and I start leaving she gets upset and will come after us. But when something like the ATV happens, I can not predict her response. It takes a lot of work, but I love to see them run free and then behave,

• Tya Khan

November 15, 2012 at 14:05

i know its lovely to see them run, pepsi is the slower one may b coz of her age she likes to just walk around at her own pace and walk a lil faster when she likes, coffee is the hyper jumpy runner, when i open them both in my home ground coffee wants to run after pepsi n then pepsi gets upset lol

2. jmgoyder

November 13, 2012 at 03:23

I have never been able to train a dog – yours are beautiiful!

November 13, 2012 at 06:35

Thanks. It is not easy and I would say they are 1/2 trained. It is an always and forever job it seems.

November 13, 2012 at 06:23

If I was EVER allowed off my leash, Mom would probably do the same exact training with me. Learning is fun.

November 13, 2012 at 06:34

Treats make it even funner.

4. Clowie

November 13, 2012 at 09:46

Fun and treats! What’s not to like?

November 13, 2012 at 10:10

Yum yum yum

5. themisadventuresofmisaki

November 13, 2012 at 16:58

As long as there are treats and everyone is having fun, who cares about the training:-)

6. Sandy

November 13, 2012 at 17:09

They come to you and that is what you are rewarding. Perfect. Great job!!!

My dog, Bruiser, looks at me to acknowledge that he heard the command and then goes on his way. I can not let him off the leash outside of our fenced yard, because he does not come when called. If a stranger comes near me then Bruiser comes and protects me. But if I am not threatened then he thinks he can do his own thing.

I think you are doing a good job!!!

November 13, 2012 at 18:16

As long as Louise is not too distracted, she hears me. The trick is, will she come when the squirrel runs by. But she definitely will be there if someone approaches me, that I know (and worry about). (Hey why aren’t you jamming? LOL)

7. bumpyroadtobubba

November 19, 2012 at 04:41

It’s so nice to see video and not just photos!

November 19, 2012 at 07:09

Thanks – not easy to do with my smartphone but I am learning. The phone battery dies quickly.