4.2.3 Love = Proper Health Care

02 Apr

I read an article by Steve Dale, pet expert and certified dog and cat behavior consultant, the other day in my local paper that made me sad.  It says that each year less and less people annually are taking their pets to the doctor and 3X as many cat owners do not take them as compared to dog owners.  This was from a study published by the American Veterinary Medical Association.  What made me even sadder is that preventable illnesses, from pests like fleas and mosquitoes  that could be avoided, are not, because people are not safeguarding their animals with preventives.  OMG!  The cost of the treatment to prevent heartworm disease is so much less expensive than the cost of treating the animal once it has the disease.  And I can not image the emotional cost to the family and the pet, when an animal does get sick.

2013-01-25_09-38-22_627 2

All the doctor stuff in the vets office

What the saddest part of the whole article to me was that he reported many “owners believe they would know if a pet were sick, ” and, “up to 15%… mistakenly feel they can Google any vet solution.”  This is a very sad trend if people think that the internet can give health solutions for themselves or their pets.

Waiting for Dr. Kate

Waiting for Dr. Kate

I know that I am preaching to the choir, but if you know people who don’t take their animals to see a vet because they can not afford it, maybe you can raise funds in your community to make it more available?  Locally, Rude Ranch Animal Rescue just opened a Spay Spa and Neuter Nook, for everyone.  I wish that everyone had that option.

If you know people who think they can solve their own medical issues or their animals on the internet, please tell them that doctors and veterinarians are trained to spot a lot of things we regular people can not, like diabetes and cancer.

Thanks for listening.

Posted by on April 2, 2013 in Dogs

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

18 responses to “4.2.3 Love = Proper Health Care

1. mythreemoggies

April 2, 2013 at 04:18

It also has alot to do with having no confidence in vets as they treat you like an endless pot of money. Sad but we are one of the few treated badly by vets 😦

April 2, 2013 at 07:15

Oh my. We have had a few of those in our life. And with so many animals, we have seen a lot of vets. There are good vets out there that care more about the animals than the money. Please make sure my moggies are checked regularly.

April 2, 2013 at 06:17

That scares me.

April 2, 2013 at 07:12

Me too

April 2, 2013 at 08:55

I agree 100% – why they ask”who know what” instead to ask a vet? I’m always angry about people who ignore fleas and other parasites on her dogs and other animals get them too. For themself they would ask a dogtor too and not “yahoo clever” … that’s really sad, you’re right.

April 2, 2013 at 13:22

“Yahoo Clever” BOL!!!

4. speedyrabbit

April 2, 2013 at 09:43

I always take Speedy to the vets if I need to But I am able to worm and de-flea him my self with out paying the fortune the the vet charges by sourcing what I need online But what gets me is a bottle of eye drops for Speedys Glaucoma is a £6 at an online pharmacy but the vets charge £15 to £20 for it and if I want a written phrescription for it so I can get it cheaper on line they charge £5 plus for it so to get that it £20 plus for the written phrescription be cause they want to see him and £30 plus if I have the drops from the vet it gets to the point where you can’t afford it some times,and if you are claiming state benefits you can got to the PDSA to get free treatment but if you work only partime and are on a low income and are getting less money than not working you can’t makes me mad!!

April 2, 2013 at 13:22

I absolutely agree that prices sometimes are outrageous. But because you took him at least once, you know what he has, so you can get the medicine he needs cheaper on the internet. I don’t get the flea stuff at the vet either. With 5 animals (down from 11) the cost would just be unbearable. Once a year everyone gets there shots and if there is something major, but otherwise, getting it cheaper makes absolute sense. Maybe stretch Speedy’s checkup to 18 months. That is what I have to do sometimes. Wish there were free pet clinics.

5. Oz the Terrier

April 2, 2013 at 09:56

I read a similar article recently. It is very sad that dogs and cats are not making it in to see the vet. I can assure anyone who thinks they can “tell” when their animal is sick that sometimes you absolutely canNOT tell…just like you canNOT always tell when a human is sick…until it is too late, that is. I hope a lot of people read that, or similar articles, and have changed their monds about not going to the vets office.

April 2, 2013 at 13:18

Me too, Oz. If its money, that is one thing, but I think for many, it is just that they either fear doctors themselves, or really do not cherish life of an animal.

6. Long Life Cats and Dogs

April 2, 2013 at 11:30

Those are some terrifying statistics. Do you think people are avoiding the vet due to the economic crisis? How sad but how wonderful that there is an organisation trying to help everyone out. Just fabulous

April 2, 2013 at 13:16

I think for some people it is money, but sadly, for others, I think that they do not seek healthcare for pets because they do not see it as important.

7. barkandchatter

April 2, 2013 at 15:16

In Nova Scotia the vet association has just decided to no longer sell flea/tick/worm medicine to pet owners unless the pets have had a visit in the last year. I feel conflicted about this, because those who don’t take their animals for annual visits now are unlikely to start, and therefore will lose access to safe, high-quality medications. Instead they will use cheap treatments available from other sources (like Walmart) which, according to our vet, can be hazardous.

April 2, 2013 at 17:30

Oh. That does not sound right

8. themisadventuresofmisaki

April 2, 2013 at 16:25

I’m insured and on top of that our vets have a ‘pay monthly’ scheme, which covers flea and worm treatments, vaccinations and a certain amount of check-ups, nail clippings and a few other things. It still is more expensive then buying those treatments online, but they like the reassurance that I’m getting a quality flea and wormer (like the point Finn has made above) and I’m fully covered incase something unexpected does happen. Plus they like that my weight is being monitored and taking me to the vets regularly has stopped me having any issues about going.

April 2, 2013 at 17:31

Good for you and smart

9. bumpyroadtobubba

April 3, 2013 at 05:57

We keep our vets in kibble tokens, and given that we all go together every time, there’s always something extra in it for them 🙂

April 3, 2013 at 07:26