Wonderful Wednesday: Cats & Dogs Can Coexist

19 May

Mini Cooper thinks she is a dog. She has always hung with the dogs and wants to be wherever they are. This collage, from 2014 just makes me smile. There is kitten Mini laying on the couch in the middle of Louise and Sofie.

Actually, all our cats love Louise; she is just that kind of soul.

Sofie is a different matter, as she has gotten older, and more anxious, she chases them away from her toys. They have learned that staying away from her is the best idea.

Nine making nice to Louise

Most cats can do fine with dogs if introduced the right way. You need to go slow and first make sure that neither animal is aggressive or frightened of the other. Then, if you keep giving them some time together several times a day, things usually work out.

I do want to point out that here at the Zoo we have several cat-only spaces and always try to provide ways for them to get away from the dogs quickly, even after all these years as a multi-animal household. You never know when someone will get stupid.

Are your pets pals?

Posted by on May 19, 2021 in Cats, Dogs

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

9 responses to “Wonderful Wednesday: Cats & Dogs Can Coexist

1. franhunne4u

May 19, 2021 at 00:33

When I was a kid we had a German shepherd and a tomcat. Dog was 5, cat was a kitten. Dig learned quickly to obey his feline overlord 😂

2. Coreen Kuhn Photography

May 19, 2021 at 00:40

Thank you for your post. Over the years my dogs and cats always got along. Shadow and Willow are both rescues. Shadow my cat is very skittish and even after nearly two years he still runs away when there is a loud noise or you move to fast. Willow my 8 month old Labrador, I adopted a week ago. These two are still getting to know each other and pushing their boundaries. I hope that they also learn to get along. Ogies our 17 year old cat and Willow gets along great. That is until Willow wants to play. I will be posting weekly updates on Shadow and Willows progress.

May 19, 2021 at 06:43

Yes, keep us posted. Time will tell. Boundaries help.

May 19, 2021 at 02:11

we sadly missed the time to add a cat …. but on the other hand, then we had no Nelly, sometimes life goes ways we can not plan ;O)))

May 19, 2021 at 06:44

Life happens when making other plans.

May 19, 2021 at 15:13

That is the absolute sweetest. It’s nice to have pals. Mom and my stuffed toys are my only pals. Plus a few doggies in the neighborhood.

May 19, 2021 at 17:23

Mom and stuffies are great pals.