Monday Mischief: Door vs Thunder Storm

22 Jun

MM 6.22.15 Thunder Storm

I never go out through the laundry room into the garage, but Grammie, who will be 90 next month, was visiting and it was pouring down rain, so I wanted to keep her dry and not make her go down the front steps of the house.  I knew a thunder storm was coming (as they tend to every day this time of year) but we wanted to go to dinner and get Grammie back to her place.  So I put on Sofie’s thunder vest, added 3 composure tablets to her dinner, feed everyone, and we all proceeded to leave.  I knew that Sofie was screaming worse than usual when I left, but what can a Petmom do?  I made sure she was in the main part of the house, not in the laundry room, and went on my way.  Obviously, since she saw me leave through the laundry room, she thought she would find me if she got in there.  She probably started by trying to fit through the cat door.  Once that was dislodged, it appears she ate a big enough hole to fit through and get to the other side.

When Peanut got home from dinner (I had to take Grammie back to her place), she found Sofie locked in the laundry room with blood all over her face.  When I got home the above is what I found.  Thank goodness I have cheap press board doors and not wood.  It seems only her gums were irritated (though there was a lot of blood).

This has been a horrible week of storms and I have tried many herbal remedies (which only seem to make her worse).  Her separation and storm anxiety appears to be escalating by the day.  I am spraying a bandana around her neck with ADAPTIL every couple of hours.  She has been getting VetriScience Composure Pro for months (to no avail).  And this week we added Min-Chex, which made her go absolutely bonkers (it basically had an antithethical effect).

I fixed the door – but I don’t know how to fix the Sofie.

IMG_2968

——————————————————–

mondaybloghop

This is a blog hop. I hopped it from MYBrownNewfies. Check them out for more mischief.

Just another DogDaz morning at the zoo

Posted by on June 22, 2015 in Dogs

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

35 responses to “Monday Mischief: Door vs Thunder Storm

1. bumpyroadtobubba

June 22, 2015 at 00:35

Oh the poor love. Sounds like Beary. The thunder shirt doesn’t do anything for him. I do the Adaptil spray on a bandana and also have an Adaptil wall plug in and {although he HATES it} I spray rescue remedy in his mouth … aiming for under his tongue. It’s so awful that they go through this.

June 22, 2015 at 06:53

Do you think the rescue remedy has any effect?

• bumpyroadtobubba

June 22, 2015 at 08:38

I don’t know if it’s the combination of things or if it actually makes a difference on its own? I always have some at home so figured I’d add it to the mix.

2. atkokosplace

June 22, 2015 at 01:21

I feel for Sofie! It can be so hard on animals. I dislike that we can’t make them understand storms. I have a cat that is so scared of storms. Thunder is what sets her off. If it rains, she is okay, but once thunder starts, she finds the smallest darkest place and hides. I try and be in the same room with her at least. Best wishes with Sofie.

June 22, 2015 at 08:00

The cats seem to be unfazed around here, but the dogs are not happy.

June 22, 2015 at 01:45

Oh poor Sofie… that must be a horrible thunderstorm that you acted that way… I’m so sorry for your poor girl and I’m so sorry that the thundershirt was no help. Easy acted crazy too for thunderstorms and fireworks, but since last year he completely changed his mind… it’s more a case of “whatever” now… it’s a miracle and I have no clue what happened, but I’m grateful that this problem is solved… I cross my paws and I hope there is really a way to “fix” Sofie…

June 22, 2015 at 08:01

Can Easy talk to Sofie and fill her in on the secret? Glad he found his cure.

• easyweimaraner

June 22, 2015 at 08:26

he sadly will keep that secret… but I’m glad that good things can suddenly happen too :o)

June 22, 2015 at 04:33

OMG, S. Poor you! I wish I could eat that naughty thunder up so it won’t scare you anymore. I hope there’s a solution. Crate covered with a sheet? Something…?

June 22, 2015 at 08:05

She abhores her crate and especially when stressed. Lulu on the other hand loves hers. I put them to bed in the crates with the sheet down. We will keep trying. Thanks for the sympathy.

5. vickisgreen

June 22, 2015 at 07:41

Poor baby! Neither Hank nor Tim like thunder either. Tim gets especially anxious, but he just wants to go hide in his crate. We find it helps to leave a radio or TV going with a fairly loud volume. It seems to help cover up some of the noise from the storm, or at least the more distant rumbling.

June 22, 2015 at 07:59

Even Louise was unsettled with this storm. They were warning of tornado but none touched down. It is going to be a long summer.

6. Emmadog

June 22, 2015 at 07:44

Poor Sofie, she must really have been scared!

June 22, 2015 at 08:05

Yes, Emma. Mommy was not here and the boomers got louder and louder.

7. Flea

June 22, 2015 at 10:11

Poor, sweet thing. Sometimes herbal remedies have the opposite of the desired effect. Have you talked to the vet?

June 22, 2015 at 11:04

It was the vet that has given us the many herbal remedies (she is a holistic vet). Sofie is a definite experiment. Thanks for the support.

8. Will and Eko

June 22, 2015 at 10:23

Oh no, what a tough week. It seems you’ve tried almost everything. All I could add is maybe if you know a storm is coming, try to exercise Sofie ragged before it hits. I know that’s not a feasible solution for most storms, but maybe it’s a start. Good luck!

June 22, 2015 at 11:05

So true, a tired dog is a happy dog.

9. Elaine

June 22, 2015 at 11:46

Oh no, poor Sofie! I’m glad she didn’t hurt herself too bad. I had a friend who had some luck with counterconditioning using a CD recording of storm sounds. It took awhile but it worked pretty well.

June 22, 2015 at 12:17

Hummm, is it the noise or the low barometric pressure that gets them? It is a thought. I will do anything for her.

10. Earl Lover

June 22, 2015 at 12:03

Poor Sofie. 😦

sumskersandearlskers13.blogspot.com

11. speedyrabbit

June 22, 2015 at 12:16

oh dear,poor baby,hope she is ok,xx Rachel

June 22, 2015 at 12:17

She is a work in progress, that is for sure

12. Dolly the Doxie

June 22, 2015 at 13:26

Poor Sofie! I have the same fears, separation and loud noises. But not as bad, you are doing way more than what mom does for me. Have you tried Steve Dale’s book “Decoding your Dog?” Love Dolly

June 22, 2015 at 13:53

Sofie doesn’t read but we can look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

13. Groovy Goldendoodles

June 22, 2015 at 15:02

Oh my doodle! Poor baby. I can’t imagine what was going through her mind. How sad…. Give her ton’s of hugs from Harley, Jax and I 🙂

June 22, 2015 at 21:23

Doodle hugs!! Thanks

14. Hawk aka BrownDog

June 22, 2015 at 16:48

Hi Y’all!

BOL! The Flatcoat Retriever, my over the rainbow brother, once ate through a hollow core metal door. They had moved and he was left home. He was trying to find my Human. My Humans feel for you.

I’m still workin’ on my new home, http://www.browndogcbr.net. Today I’m tryin’ some changes to the format. This will be my third change, although minor, since my move.

Thank you if you have been giving me feedback. I would like to know how this layout is working for you personally.

I appreciate hearing the pros and cons for you when I show y’all a new look.

Y’all hurry on by now!