If you are a regular DogDaz blog reader then you know that Louise has a very sensitive stomach and Sofie has developed allergies to “who knows what and possibly everything.” Every once and a while, I give their tummies a break with my simple DogDaz chicken and rice dinner. This is not their regular diet since I do not add the required vitamins and minerals that a dog should have to maintain good health. I use this to get their systems back on track. Some people say to fast your animal for 24 hours before starting any change, but I don’t do that. If your fur-baby’s tummy is out of whack, you might want to try this for a couple of days.
Note: Please make sure to get your dog proper animal care with a Vet when they are feeling poorly. This post is by no means a cure for anything. I believe that food is medicine, and medicine is food and just wanted to share a simple tummy tamer.
Ingredients (for 12 cups):
4 pieces plain boiled CHICKEN (As lean as possible. I cut all the fat and skin off.)
1 cup white RICE
(Optional) 1/2 to 3/4 cup 100% pure PUMPKIN (NOT pumpkin pie mix, which is full of sugar and other stuff)
Time to prepare: about 90 minutes all together
– Boil water (DO NOT ADD SALT. Dogs do not need salt and too much can cause sodium ion poisoning).
– When boiling, reduce heat to simmer, cover pot and cook about 30 minutes or until the meat basically falls off the bone.
– Remove chicken and let cool.
– Save the broth (you will need some later and it also makes great chicken soup stock). Skim the fat from the cooled chicken broth for the rice.
2. Prepare the Rice
– The rice will be soggy and soft when done.
– Let rice cool.
3. Mix Chicken and Rice
5. Feed hungry dogs
– How much you feed them depends on the dog’s size, I give Louise (who is 58 lbs) 1 1/2 cups and Sofie (47 lbs) 2/3 cup, but don’t have any idea of the calorie or protein count.
– Mix with at least 1/4 cup of warm water to make it saucy.